Question about the less obvious upgrades in builds

I know the build is the cake and the tune is the icing on top of it but there’s some stuff that still puzzles me.

1. Flywheel, clutch and driveline are the last parts to be added and only if there’s leftover. Do these actually make any impact in the car’s drivability? Clutch seems only helpful on really old cars. The idea is to know which I should prioritize whenever I can squeeze them in. I usually go with driveline because it seems to lower the most weight for less PI but the impact of these upgrades on acceleration seems negligible in the stat screen.

2. When should I buy chassis upgrades aside from reducing PI to squeeze in adjustable parts? In most cars from the 80s onwards they seem to always lower PI and they often make the car worse since a stiffer car is less grippy. Sometimes I’ll go with the rollcage purely for visual purposes.

3. What is the deciding factor when it comes to build a car for grip or speed? There are some brutes in each division you can lower weight in but the result could be a car that does neither of those things well.

Clutch upgrades speed up shifting a bit. Flywheel and driveline take off weight.

1 Like

I see, but it’s weird that driveline lowers more weight than flywheel yet costs less PI.

I think flywheel probably has the usual effect of letting the car rev more freely but adding power is always better. Flywheel actually costs a lot of PI for what it does in this game, usually the Street flywheel costs 2 PI and does not seem to do much.

I find shifting to be fast fast enough with Race transmission whenever possible but you’re right when it comes to the clutch, it’s just that the effect seems much less.

…I know the build is the cake and the tune is the icing on top of it but there’s some stuff that still puzzles me.

1. Flywheel, clutch and driveline are the last parts to be added and only if there’s leftover. Do these actually make any impact in the car’s drivability? Clutch seems only helpful on really old cars. The idea is to know which I should prioritize whenever I can squeeze them in. I usually go with driveline because it seems to lower the most weight for less PI but the impact of these upgrades on acceleration seems negligible in the stat screen.

…There is no real gain by using clutch if you re driving manual with clutch. If you are driving automatic, there is minimum gain in shift time. Most tuners are using flywheel to get the car to the desired pi and remove some weight. I usually prefer to use a combo of aftermarket wheel, their size and driveline to get the desired pi. Flywheel would be my last resort.

1. When should I buy chassis upgrades aside from reducing PI to squeeze in adjustable parts? In most cars from the 80s onwards they seem to always lower PI and they often make the car worse since a stiffer car is less grippy. Sometimes I’ll go with the rollcage purely for visual purposes.

…When your laptimes indicate to you that it is faster to use chassis upgrade. Some cars are not easy to tame and with the chassis upgrade, they re a bit easier to tame especially during cornering.

1. What is the deciding factor when it comes to build a car for grip or speed? There are some brutes in each division you can lower weight in but the result could be a car that does neither of those things well.

…The track. Cat nat is full grip. Bathurst is speed just like Daytona. However, you have Alien drivers like PTG Greeksniper that can take a full grip car top ten on Bathurst

1 Like

Thanks for the advice Rosny, very appreciated!

As for #3, I meant more in the lines of the traits of each car. So for example, in a heavy, powerful car that’s close to the top of the PI ceiling, is it still a good idea to lower weight for example or just add more power to reach the power limit then worry about handling? I’ve been thinking that weight is probably a better idea, especially in lower divisions. Power gives you top end but you won’t benefit much from it at most tracks.

Remember, weight affects every aspect of the car due to inertia. That includes cornering so removing weight is generally a great idea, however, with some cars they are already so light, there is less benefit. On a track like the Daytona oval, weight is the least important change. Once you are up to speed, the inertia doesn’t matter as much because of the banked turns.

1 Like