Quality Mode is WAY Fasterrrrr

ehhh, i have to disagree. Both have their positives. Digital for its ease of use, but physical holds more value, can be resold once you’re done with it. Friends/family can borrow it. Disc don’t get scratched if you take care of them. Have original xbox games that work completely fine, come to think of it i’ve never had a game stop working.

I used to think like that until one day I tried to play some old DVDs that were practically immaculate and in some cases never used. I tried to run them on different DVD/Console/Blu-ray players and the films refused to work. Thats when I discovered a thing called disk rot. No matter how well you treat your disks, the metal reflective surface is still subject to oxidation and leads to data corruption. It shows up as little white dots on the disk and in some cases see through dots. I checked several DVD’s and several of them had the dots and refused to work. This does seem to be more of an issue with the early DVD’s manufacturing process but can affect all disks eventually and it’s already affecting PS1 and PS2 games.

The idea of CD’s / DVD’s lasting forever was very misguided, it is closer to about 20 years in general and about 10-15 if it re-writable.
This is of course highly dependent on how the disk was printed and it’s storage location, temperature and humidity etc. Storing in a controlled space maybe a solution but for most people they will simply be stored in it’s box on a shelf and will eventually fail through no fault of the owner. I no longer collect music, films or games on disk and I only stream or download now.

Apparently gold plated disks instead of aluminium are meant to last a lot longer.

2 Likes

Also apparently M-discs are meant to have a long life. Albeit expensive and as yet unproven. It was once thought optical disks would last a very long time but as you say, we’re now discovering this is far from the case.

There’s even been blu-rays which aren’t very old which have succumbed to disk rot or other defects.

Who knows if in 20 years, blu-rays and other optical disks will be widely discredited and consigned to history. If the technology has this dirty secret / achilles heel, consumer confidence in buying them will evaporate quickly.

Huh? I bought Forza Horizon 4 Ultimate Edition Digital Download and have previous versions (FH3 and Forza 7). If you own the digital versions you can install it both on Windows and XBOX… and reinstall it whenever you want. No renting. A disc can be scratched broken, digital versions can be re-downloaded if your PC/XBOX goes bad… And I get 100+ FPS on my desktop. :slight_smile:

it’s pretty clear you’ve never owned a PC judging by the crap you’re spewing (That or you get someone else to set everything up for you). Because just like everything else that installs with a disc, you require the disc to launch the game on PC, even after installation. Following your logic, this would also make physical console media a coaster once installed. It’s been like this since PC gaming was conceived. Physical media on your shelf has a half-life, can be lost aswell as broken and is inherently, an obsolete method of storage. Now if you’ll excuse me, im going to drive around the scaled down cotswalds at 1440p, Ultra settings at 100FPS to take away the pain of your sick burns.

As I understand it, Quality mode is more than just a 4k resolution: there are some subtle visual tweaks with reflections and sunflares present in Quality mode that are absent in Performance.

the best is the 60fps mode
BUT…the quality mode makes this game look stunning!

Quality Mode with Xbox One X on FullHD TV is still only 30fps?

yes…

wow thats bad. i thought at least on full hd tv the xbox one x would be good enough to deliver 60fps in quality mode.

While the graphics are astounding in quality mode, they still are really beautiful in performance mode, and the gameplay is so much more better. The gameplay, at least for me, is what makes or breaks the game. The drivability without the input lag is excellent.

What? No, it really is not. After playing on PC with 60 fps whenever I return to One X and quality mode while I appreciate the better graphics thanks to 4K I absolutely notice the choppiness of the gameplay compared to the 60 fps mode. Especially if you drive S1, S2 class cars at high speeds you experience a serious lack of control and it is much harder to play.

I’m so torn by this choice. I WANT BOTH! keep switching back and forth between 4K and 60fps. With a wheel 60fps is definitely the best and most amazing experience but 4K is gorgeous. I keep telling myself that I’m usually flying at 150+ km so hard to enjoy the visuals. The choice is painful

You must hallucinate, the input lag is horrible on XBX in Q mode!

What input lag? switching between 30fps and 60fps doesn’t create input lag, it just changes the amount of times the screen refreshes per second giving a smoother experience
The physics engine on Forza games runs at 360Hz regardless of framerate so when you push a button on the controller the game responds to that input at 360Hz the graphics card then does the work of processing the image at either 30Hz or 60Hz.

Most TV’s (unless you have game mode) run at about 30-40 ms video lag, so that is probably why you are experiencing lag and misinterpreting it as the console having input lag.
If you have a monitor with 1-4ms lag then you should not notice any input lag at all at 30fps or 60fps the only difference should be the smoothness/judderness of the screen refresh but even then this game has so much motion blur that it’s not that noticeable unless you are sitting very close to the screen.

(Note 30fps vs 60fps can create lag if the games speed is set to the same as the framerate (ie the game updates every 16 or 33ms) - like old 2d games, but Forza runs at 360z so it’s irrelevant.)

I think the frame interpolation - motion enhancements - on your TV is making the game look smoother and faster in 30fps mode. i’m on a 60Hz TV that has no motion enhancing features, playing on the original Xbox One at 30 fps and the sense of speed isn’t believable. Game can feel choppy and laggy especially when i play during the day in a bright room with the blinds open.

60fps mode is definetly smoother to watch and feels a little more responsive. But the additional effects on quality mode do amp up the feeling of speed to the point that unless you are stickler for high frame rates it’s just as good.

I did try 60fps mode in the demo, but it just felt a bit flat and clinical compared to the all bells and whistles 30fps. Yes it’s a little smoother and maybe a bit more responsive feeling but you lose a lot of the one X eye candy as well. I miss my headlamps casting real time shadows from objects in front of them damn it!

Hello,

Just wanted to post some of my personal findings about using the Quality and Performance modes while playing. I find my attitude shift pretty interesting since I didn’t anticipate it, so thought I’d share it.

After playing the demo, I was of the firm conclusion that I would be using Quality mode exclusively on the 1X, since I could play on my PC whenever I wanted to play at 60fps (My PC handles High quality at 1440p 60fps. Not incredible, but gets the job done). And that was the case. Ever since early access launched on the 28th of september, played only on Quality mode.

However, when I unlocked the level 20 road racing race, the Goliath or whatever its name is, I could feel the game dragging a bit and not its usual self. (Quality really does a good job at smoothing the frames, it doesn’t really feel 30 fps unless you’re driving at speed and doing high-speed corners, etc.). I thought that I would give Performance mode a try.

At first it felt weird, everything was noticeably less crisp and shiny, but the game ran so well. The race went very smooth. And since then, I switched a couple of times back to Quality, but every time my eyes could notice less and less eye-candy.

So right now, I’ve been running the game on Performance for the last couple of days, not a single regret. Might turn back to Quality when I will want to show off the game to my girlfriend or friends, etc.

Anyway, I was surprised how quickly I changed my opinion from one extreme to the other, hope this helps or entertains in any way :slight_smile:

Cheers

1 Like

There is one area where folks have missed an impact of quality vs performance which i will now share from my point of view.
I had a stroke in august, my right hand side has been left uncooperative and the therapists have been working hard to me back to my old self if possible. So video games played a big part. They are very beneficial to stoke victims and with their help some function has been restored. Not all and i now use assists for several things where i didn’t before. But one “assist” isn’t really an assist but works as one for someone like me. I use quality mode, which enables me to have more normal races than performance. It’s not that the underlying physics are slower, but the on screen representation of them is.
This results in a far smoother experience for me. My hand is very twitchy, and the races were un-doable to start with. In performance mode they still are. But with a little switch to quality, it becomes easier. It’s not some amazing fix and everything is fine now, but it goes a long way. It’s the on screen actions responding to my jerky inputs that is the worst, but with quality mode i don’t see them half as much.
That is a good thing. Playing something like Fallout 4 with V.A.T.S. is also helpful, whereas Just Cause 4 is a wash. unplayable. So in that regard quality mode definitely has one supporter!

sorry to hear of your illness. i think you inadvertently proved that 30fps games can be laggy. i certainly feel a lag going from motorsport to horizon as i play on the regular xbox. my panel is 60hz with an 8ms response time. zero enhancements. even if those are on, it doesn’t add to the mild lag present in 30fps games - it’s not even input lag just that the onscreen action isn’t as smooth and seamless (or real life like) as 60fps.

that’s all, just my two.