Plenty of us would volunteer to be testers

Since events not working seems to be a constant issue why not let some volunteers from the forum be testers for upcoming seasons/series. Let the volunteers do the series early so the bugs can be worked out before releasing it to the public. In game credits or cars can be given as a reward for helping. PG cannot seem to accomplish this on their own or it would not keep happening. It’s quite baffling to me that these things are not throughly tested in house. Frustrating and alienating players is not a good thing.

16 Likes

I’d quite happily be a beta tester (wouldn’t even ask for anything in return, as long as the issues were actually resolved)

6 Likes

Beta tester isn’t the proper terminology, respectfully. Quality Assurance is the appropriate “department”; a beta tester runs the product once the QA testers have gone through the software to fix bugs in every possible scenario and no bugs exist; then it moves to beta testing. Beta testers are like the end-users in a closed area away from the actual software server. If no issues exist under beta testing, the software package is submitted to the help documentation team to create or modify the help file for it. Of course, we do not need the help documentation team on FH5; therefore, the package is uploaded to the end-user server.

Being a QA tester is not just running the software; you will have to articulate the issue to the developers; i.e., I clicked on A and expected B but got C instead. The next step is to recreate the issue documenting how you landed where you did, so the developers can look into the code for that situation to correct it. Depending on the size of your shop, beta testers, as a general rule, did not give the developers issues; they are passed on to the QA lead, who will assign it to a QA tester to recreate and document the steps that created the problem. End users would submit trouble tickets to the QA lead to disseminate the issue to the tester with high priority because it came from the end-user.

They’ve got people paying them to test the game… 10m of them.

21 Likes

True. But unfortunately we don’t test it until after its in production. Which means we miss out on the ability to complete accolades and seasonal events. And some of these are time gated and will not return for months or longer.

So yeah. Paying customers are finding the bugs. Which is exactly how T10/Microsoft want it (because its free and they are greedy). But, the paying customers are getting screwed twice because of it.

They must have their own reasons why they haven’t established a public test server to date.

1 Like

Yeah, they don’t have money so maybe we could help them as volunteers. I have some old shoes for them too.

4 Likes

really, any proper testing is a great idea!

like others have said, I would volunteer my time for testing and would not need a thing in return!

3 Likes

Way to be constructive guys. 10 million played doesn’t mean they still are playing. Most of them played on the gamepass which is not the same as buying the game. I don’t see them doing this really and certainly they are not going to pay anyone. There are alternatives to paying. Free gamepass, free Xbox live etc… there are plenty of ways they can compensate people. As you see some wouldn’t ask for anything at all.

1 Like

Nice idea but do some quick math they have money to hire experts!!
In early access week hall of fame showed some number at bottom and most of these ppl paid 100 bucks to play in this week (except some mods and youtubers and so on)
Lots of ppl playing with gamepass but paid for premium extension its ~45 bucks

2 Likes

To be fair, ur all beta testers atm

4 Likes

What beta crashes at launch on your flagship console? :smiley:

1 Like

Beta? Not sure about that. Closed Beta maybe…

1 Like

I know one of the testers from FH3, so they do have testers… or they used to.

Maybe it’s the only one and left after H4 release?

I would do it for free, I did some beta testing for a friend of mine that was developing a game. It was cool actually trying to find walls you could walk through lol. Game would have rivaled Doom if they didn’t lose funding, such is the life of Indy games.
But if PG wants to get a crew together to test before release, I’d throw my hat in ring. They have time to test these things, they just seemingly refuse to. Took them over a year to fix the Drive X Miles bug in FH4.

oh oh pick me, me, me oh pick me, pick me, pick meeeeeeeee

To be perfectly honest, I’m not so sure volunteer beta testers would help. At the end of the day, someone still has to apply the fixes. And that seems to be where the problem lies.

2 Likes

Yeah people seem to really like to focus on a deficiency in “testing” whenever there are problems with any game, but more often than not, testers find the vast majority of significant bugs and the reason they don’t get fixed is because the programmers aren’t given the time/priority to fix them.

1 Like

Beta tester isn’t the proper terminology, respectfully. Quality Assurance is the appropriate “department”; a beta tester runs the product once the QA testers have run the software through every possible scenario and no bugs exist; then it moves to beta testing. Beta testers are like the end-users in a closed area away from the actual software server. If no issues exist under beta testing, the software package is submitted to the help documentation team to create or modify the help file for it. Of course, we do not need the help documentation team on FH5; therefore, the package is uploaded to the end-user server.