[PC] Custom Wheel, Throttle/ Brake axis

Hello, first of all, nice that - contrary to FH3 and Apex - FMS 7 actually recognizes my wheel.

But i have a huge problem with gas/ brakes. They are both recognized as one axis. While one axis works fine for steering input (i actually can set it up quite satisfyingly), the pedals can only be set as either throttle or brake. that leads to the following:

depending on the setting, hitting the gas pedal works as intended, but the brakes won´t work at all… adjusting it gives me the ability to use the brake, but the throttle gradually gives “auto-input” to the same degree, meaning when the brakes react as they should, the throttle is at full all the time… then i reduce the throtlle, it will give less gas without hitting the pedal, but the brakes also react less…

basically, there is no way to have it at a “zero point”, like it should be and as it is with the steering axis. you have a neutral point for no input and then gradual input in either direction…
one problem might be, that you can set the steering to either one axis or seperate input in the options, but there is no such option for the acceleration/ brakes. the “handle as one axis” options combine both steering and throttle/ brake axis which might be the main issue here…

the (not so funny) thing is, that in EVERY OTHER racing/ driving game (from the old GTR and similar game to Truck Simulators, Assetto Corsa, RaceRoom and Project Cars and what ever comes to mind) i am able to set it up without issues, they even recognize the pedal directions as independend, meaning i can assign them seperately to acceleration and brake axis… Only with Forza games i simply can´t get it to work, as mentioned, probably because there is no seperate option for gas/ brake when you set the steering to one axis… FH3 doesn´t even take ANY input at all, no buttons, nothing…

is there any way to make it happen, anybody an idea if there is a sweet spot or will it always be proportional less gas, no brakes and vice versa?

I will not be able to buy FMS7 + a new wheel, that´s just out of scope, plus i don´t see why i should buy a new wheel just for the single one game that won´t recognize it properly… , the wheel, while rather cheap and w/o ffb, works 100X better than my x360 controller, if it would be possible to properly set it up in Forza…

edit: the name of the wheel: Speedlink Carbon GT

2 Likes

Seriously…

So while i gave up on the wheel after trying dozens of possible adjustments, i tried the same with my x360 controller: getting something playable out of it…

i find it funny, though the game obviously has it´s focus on xbox users, at least in the demo i can´t seem to find a really good setting for the xbox controller… i mean, i can get it somewhat playable with stability control on and even that only to an extent… but if i wanna play without assistances, i can´t see that happen without a wheel…

might be the cars in the demo are overreacting like hell, or the controller just can´t be smooth enough to not occasionally overreact… either way, for a 70$$ game in the basic version, less than satisfactory…

at this rate, i think i better keep the money… which is sad, because FM7 looks good, great car selection, nice tracks and all that… but the driving, as far as i can judge from the demo seems rather mediocre compared to other titles, even with my rather cheap peripherals… very strange for an AAA+ title…

1 Like