[PC] Constant crashing to desktop

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600 @ 3.50 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 (EVGA SSC 2.0)
RAM: 16 GB

Windows version: 1703, Build 15063.632
Video driver version: 385.69

Experiencing a steady stream of crashes to desktop at various places within the game. Sometimes it happens after the “Press Enter/A to Continue” splash screen, other times I can get through a single race (never more than one in any given session, though). Things that I have tried include:

• Ensure that all power settings both for Windows and the Nvidia drivers are set to high performance
  • Disabled Game Bar, Game Mode, etc within Windows 10 Game settings
  • Disabled Nvidia overlay and Shadowplay features from Geforce Experience app
  • Underclocked GPU back to “stock” 970 settings (as this is a factory overclocked card)

The only specific incidents that I have been able to identify that seem to cause a crash 100% of the time is if some other overlay attempts to draw something to the screen including:

• Adjusting the Windows system volume
  • Unlocking an achievement

As of this morning, I cannot keep the game up long enough to try adjusting the graphics settings to anything other than whatever they are at now (and cannot tell you because I can’t get that far before the game crashes). The FAQ requests a DxDiag output, but the forum does not allow you to attach files to posts - I have uploaded this to my Google Drive and am including a link to it here: Google Drive: Sign-in . If you want this information, though, you need to provide a mechanism for your players to provide it to you; that’s a little ridiculous.

See if you can find a solution here.

1 Like

The 0xc0000005 error is only one of the several exception codes that I have received when crashing to desktop out of FM7. I decided to leave the registry change for last, as that seems like a very heavy handed approach to a problem that only pops up in a single application. (If this were the culprit, I would expect you to see this problem across multiple titles - maybe not all, but definitely more than just one.) I did, however, try the permissions and Windows Defender suggestion, and so far that appears to have quieted the problem for the moment. I have re-enabled Windows Defender real-time scanning and things are still working which suggests that, if Defender is the culprit here, it is attempting to access something that it doesn’t have access to, which should not be possible as Defender should have superuser/Administrator privileges across the entire system.

I will continue to monitor the situation locally to see what my longer term results are, but I was able to successfully go in and out of several menus, complete a race, and perform the full post-race flow, as well as again enter in to and out of several menus exercising different options with no crashes to desktop over the course of probably 20 minutes or so of testing. This would be the longest continuous block of time I have been able to run the game since installation.

Here’s hoping Microsoft and Turn 10 can get to the bottom of what’s going on here and fix things. This type of work around should absolutely not be necessary, and implies a deeper underlying problem.

Received a response from forzafb@microsoft.com, which identifies itself as Forza Website Feedback in its replies in spite of what the official Forza Twitter account states. They requested some additional crash logs that are generated by the game itself. I reverted the changes I made earlier and reproduced the crash, and have sent this information over to them. I am now in the process of trying to download the patch that was released today, but the Windows Store is being abysmally slow to download and frequently stalls out - it will not even show the download size for the update or provide an estimated time for downloading, but I suspect this has less to do with T10, and more to do with MS’ shitty Store infrastructure on the Windows side.

I will update this thread with more information and details as I get them.

P.S. The specifics that the Turn 10 people asked for are below:
Can you provide us with the following files? Please also let us know exactly what you were doing before the next crash.

THP Files
You can find these files by going to
C:\Users[username]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.ApolloBaseGame_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\Temp\Turn10Temp.scratch
The AppData file maybe hidden so in file explorer, you will need to enable hidden files by going to View, Options, View tab and clicking the radio button for Show hidden files, folders and drives.

Crashreport.xml (Please reproduce the crash before trying to get this file)
You can find these files by going to
C:\Users[username]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.ApolloBaseGame_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\Temp\Turn10Temp.scratch
The AppData file maybe hidden so in file explorer, you will need to enable hidden files by going to View, Options, View tab and clicking the radio button for Show hidden files, folders and drives.

Tasklist
Launch the game
Open a cmd prompt
Type ‘tasklist > “path to .txt file”
i.e: tasklist > C: asklist.txt

If you do reach out to them, you might as well collect the data ahead of time and send it in along with your DxDiag output to prevent additional back-and-forth time.

That’s where i initially found that “D3DError” graphics card hung due to overclocking. in the Crashreport.xml file which was related to the 0xc0000005 error code.

1 Like

Do you mind elaborating on the permissions fix you did? I am on windows 10. I am trying to open the folder This PC > New Volume (D:) > WindowsApps and it is saying I do not have permission to access it. I am right clicking it, going to properties, then going to the secturity tab and going to the advanced menu but then I don’t know what to do from there.

EDIT: Just found a guide and was able to gain access to the folder. Hopefully this stops the constant crashing and track dissapearing.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/access-windowsapps-folder-windows-10/

FWIW the patch that was released today seems to have fixed my issues locally. I have reverted my changes to the permissions on the WindowsApps folder, and I have Windows Defender set to its normal scans, and I have been able to run through multiple races with no crashes to desktop. I will continue to monitor the situation here, obviously, but I do strongly suggest everybody go into the Windows Store and download the Oct 3rd update (game version 1.107.1807.2).

If / when I receive further update from Turn 10 via their email “support”, I will also include any pertinent information here.

2 Likes

Just as an update I experienced both the game crashing and the track disappearing at separate instances in the game so the permissions or Forza update did not seem to fix either issue.