Oversteer issues with FWD/Hatch cars... Any tips?

Right, so I’ve done a fair bit of testing and seem to be stuck on this one.

Pretty much all the time when I’m in a car that was originally FWD or a hatch, it tends to hit a bit of bumpy stuff or mid corner and want to spin quite suddenly.

I’ve tried, soft rear springs, hard rear springs, all sorts of diff settings, ride height etc.

Anyone got any good ideas on how to best deal with this.

Check my main thread after the car listing in the first post, there are good links there to help you debug the situation.
But, sometimes it just comes down to throttle control.

I assume you have swapped to RWD or AWD. If so the main issue is likely to be the default damping figures.

Bring them into front/rear balance to start off with. So if they were 8.0/7.0 default rebound change it to something like 7.0/7.0 or 8.0/8.0 or whatever figure you choose just have front and rear the same to start your testing.

With bump I find that hatches need lower rear bump than front. So try something like 2.0/1.5 or 3.0/2.0.

I have this in my tuning archives, but don’t have a link. Sorry
Meow

Thanks for the input guys, found that lowering the rear dampening quite a lot did help, it still wanted to slide but was a whole lot more controllable.

I ended up finding that the only full way to cure it in my circumstance was to add rear downforce by fitting the rear wing for it.

Sometimes you can use some pretty wacky settings and they work out fine in the game even if it looks like it wouldn’t work in real life…

You can use a pretty low bump settings most of the time. Then, play around with the rebound settings to affect cornering attributes. If you want it to slide around a bit less, try setting your front rebound higher than your rear. Then, lower your front antiroll bar setting by a couple of clicks. You can still use the rear aero, just play around with it and see what you like - I’d recommend starting at or near the very low end of the rear aero scale and going p until you find the minimum value needed.

Kitty, nice post. I remember seeing that somewhere but it’s an ice refresher. Basically, it’s saying you can set your acceleration differential setting too low so that in most cases you avoid burnouts and tires spinning while flooring it in a straight line, but then it hurts cornering. I you raise the setting and use a bit of throttle control and tuning to help, the higher diff setting will assist in cornering and thus be a much bigger improvement to lap times. What do you think a good value to begin with is for this?

On RWD cars I tend to start with a setting of 20/10 and usually end up between 10/10 and 25/10 depending on car and the power it has.
On AWD cars, I tend to be somewhere in the 35-50/0-5/60-75/5-15/50-70 range…

Also noone mentioned it, but it seem as thouhg these are times you are going to be off throttle its wanting to spin around on you. could try raising the decel a small amount.

Thanks for the info guys, I’m going to test today for a good while and see if I can find the answer without adding the silly looking rear wings. It does seem to be more of a Dampening issue than a differential setting one.

I looked into the standard and sport spring setups of the vehicle and did notice that the front bump stiffness was higher than the rebound stiffness on such cars and pretty stiff over all, and the rear bump and rebound were equal, on the very low side. So I’ll have a experiment with that. I’ll also got the the extreme ends on the springs to see if I get any progress there also.

UPDATE: Right, So I seem to have found the answer, without needing rear downforce anymore, I raised the front rebound to its max of 13, made the front bump stiffness anywhere from 60-75% of the front rebound then made the rear bump and rebound equal (around 3 for the VW Rabbit and around 2 for others) but on the lower side, seems to cancel out the high speed snap into oversteer and made the car feel a whole lot more progressive in terms of loss of grip.

As for the differential, I ended up going with 60/60/30/15/50 as it felt best for me… That was for the VW Rabbit. Seems more unstable than all the others, where I used 30/15/60/5/50

You said fwd not awd. That’s why mentioned diff. If fwd you should be at something like 100/10
Didn’t realize u meant hot hatch with awd swap. You title says fwd/hatch help.

Happened to me with FWD also, but was tuning on an AWD swapped car with more power as the higher speeds that I could achieve made the issue worse.

The rebound settings affect your turning behaviour while the bump settings affect how it handles going over bumps.

The game says the bump should be 60-75% of the rebound, but try bump settings between 1.0 - 2.0 - they tend to work well in these games. Leave everything else the way you have it and only lower the bump and see how it feels. Then, let us know. I’m curious.

Seems like it works, when I’ve set my rebound as I normally would front & rear. Then having the front bump to match the front rebound and the rear bump to be minimum or just a little over, whilst keeping the rebound fairly soft (Generally below 4).

Bump settings affect turning behaviour as well.

Read the flowchart i often link to or a picture in Worms tuning guide for fm5.