Opinions on the Career Mode

The stories of motorsport provides no stories and are an endless repetition. Outside of achievements, there is literally no reason to play it after you beat it once. It’s flat out awful.

I liked FM2’s career (especially the race leaderboard) the most but liked the variety of FM3/FM4’s. Absolutely no effort went into FM5 and FM6 career mode.

Some of the showcases are really good though. Not sure why some of those were limited to one race whenever a championship system would have been well received.

4 Likes

I get the impression that ‘curated experience’ was a big buzzword around the offices 2 years ago.

When I look at Forza what mostly comes to mind is tens of thousands of man hours spent on graphics and modeling cars and tracks, and tens of hours on how to turn all that content into a ‘career’.

3 Likes

I don’t think the career mode is as good as Forza 3 like some people are also saying but I love the endurance races and some of the showcase events.

I have been kinda hoping Forza would take some ideas from its competitors over the years with career mode. In my opinion Gran Turismo has the best career mode set up that I can remember for it has a little something for everyone. The biggest thing to me that is missing in forza is series races. Every race in Forza as it stands you need to win in order to pass instead of the best overall points in say 5 races. Forza has shown improvements with showcase mode but it feels lacking overall what has been done in the past.

Sadly I feel no desire to continue to play Forza single player and I really wanted in this version “Free play” to be just that but it isn’t for lack of options

3 Likes

I haven’t done any career in weeks, I just find it utterly boring. It’s a shame they didn’t put more thought into it because some of the showcase events are really good and would have made great championships. I don’t think T10 have put much thought into anything since Forza 4. The careers in 3-4 were much more enjoyable I really enjoyed Forza 2s as well. But FM6 career holds zero interest and enjoyment for me.

4 Likes

I feel it rushed me too quickly into the higher pi races.

I like starting out at the bottom with my beat up old banger, having to slug it out in a few races to upgrade to a slightly less beat up car and so on.

In this it took like eight races and you are a millionaire… I don’t want a shiny rare car after two hours of racing, it should be a distant goal to look forward to.

5 Likes

@xboxoneoz

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I don’t struggle with career mode at all. I still use stock vehicles when I race and still have some fun.

in forza 6 you can get through all the career mode driving less than 50 cars. in forza 4 you HAD to use a minimum of 300. I think this is what I am missing. I love driving every car that is offered in the game (and have done it in all forzas) and this is what is lacking in the forza 6 career mode.

1 Like

F6 Career mode was only an pointless grind and repetition of events to me, very boring.

2 Likes

For Stories of Motorsport, I really enjoyed the first time through but kind of lost interest after I completed all the volumes once. I personally feel like it needs more variety. To get 100%, you have to finish every series in every discipline, and there’s 6 disciplines per series and 3 series per discipline. This comes to a total of 90 series, which makes it about the same length as Forza 2 (but I believe Forza 2’s series were longer on average), but most of the series felt the same.
For the Showcases, I actually really liked them, and managed to finish all of them. There was definitely more variety than Stories of Motorsport.

In my opinion, Forza 3 handled the career mode best, although Forza 4 also was very good. They were very similar, and I mainly prefer 3 because Season Play contributed the event list more than World Tour did.

I completed both career and showcases 100%. Showcases in general were quite fun, they had some great themes like Ford vs Ferrari at Le mans, the 80s Group 5 races or the classic grand prix races. Some things were rather boring though like the slalom races and the car bowling.

Career however was a disaster! I never played previous FM titles but coming from GT5/GT6 I have to say there the career is done a lot better! In GT5/6 you have specific races like you would expect from any proper self-respecting racing game. You have themes like 90s Japanese cars, like German RWD cars, like GT300, GT500, etc. PD could still improve on it though but at least it’s a ton better than in Forza 6.

In Forza 6 the major starting issue is the class devisions, they are way too generic! They should have followed the system from Playground where you have classic, retro and modern cars, that’s a really good way to devide cars over time. Retro is anything between 1980 and 2000. Modern is newer and classic is older. Then I want detailed devisions! like a group B devision, a group 5 devision, I want LMP900 different from LMP1 and different from LMP2. That way you can reproduce real races instead of having these unrealistic races. There should really be a seperate devision for roadsters as well, and coupes, and you could split that up even further with classic / retro and modern if there are too many cars in a devision. There should also be devisions so that all cars belong to a devision. Put all the Fast & Furious cars and the Teams Forza cars in a tuned car devision. Split off track toys in an extreme tracktoys devision as well (like FH2), there are plenty of cars to fill in that part. And add something for offroad/vans/trucks as well, plenty of cars there too. It could be so damn easy to do this right but in FM6 I really have the impression Turn10 was too lazy to do this properly.

Then thirdly, the career tracks feels like 1 big grind, nothing is tailored to the experience! If I’m doing the Modern Grand Prix races for example, I expect them to be done on… gasp grand prix tracks! But because every devision shares it’s selection of tracks with 5 other devisions it often has no relation too, this becomes so unrealistic. The first Modern Grand Prix race if I’m not mistaken was on the fictional Rio track, sigh. Leave the fictional tracks to sport cars and the like but at least put race cars on real race tracks.

In general the career experience feels way too generic and dumbed down, and it’s just a boring grind. It could be so much more with proper car devisions and then races on tracks really tailored towards those devisions.

And last but certainly not least, as someone who prefers to drive cars in their bare bone stock form, I really hate the fact that I am forced to upgrade my cars in career mode. Why should I be the one to adapt to the drivatars? Let them adapt to me! (like in FH2).

As a previous convert from playstation, I can only say what most have already, Gran Turismos career is much better, I haven’t played any of the gran Turismos after 4, but I imagine they are still good.

It’s obviously difficult to get a good balance of multilayer diversity and single player engagement. Even in the call of duty or fifa games that I would play, one or the other always suffers, and with the huge demand and different desires it is impossible to please everyone.

I love forza because I love cars, I love racing cars, I love modifying cars, I love tuning cars and I love to design cars. Forza provides the ability to do all of this on a virtual platform. The multilayer is brilliant when the right people come together (everyone knows the issues here). But if I had the ability to design and code a game, and I was given the responsibility in the design team of single player career, I would have done it differently. And I will explain. The first racing sim I had was gran Turismos 2 on the ps1. I started with barely any credits, bought a Honda crx on the 2nd hand market, give it an oil change and competed in my first 2 races. I was then taught about racing lines, braking zones, throttle control, how to navigate chicanes, hairpins and fast complexes. With my new knowledge I competed in tougher races, I upgraded my car with the few credits I had. I was attached to my crx, but I had to make room in my garage for better cars to compete in more competitions, so I got a mustang cobra svt, this was a completely different animal, even in the days of ps1. What Gran Turismo did was give the car culture, and the racing a feeling of ‘real’. The decisions I made in the game were thought out, should I upgrade the Honda? Can I afford a more competitive car? I could decide what race series I wanted to do, I could pick a car that would compete in the most classes.

I first played forza in the form of forza 2 in my friends house shortly before the release of forza 3. This immediately impacted my decision on choice of console. I got my xbox and forza 3 and it was amazing. I love the game physics, the content, the customisation and the tuning abilities I learned here. But I always wanted a mix of the 2 games, I wanted the diversity, the playing style and the multilayer experience of forza. And I wanted the career, the challenges of it, be that fighting for credits, making them count, or trying to achieve perfection in the licence tests. As the previous poster pointed out, there is so much that forza could do with the career side of the game, but to find the time and space to squeeze that in as well is the difficult part. I just think the young person now turning forza on as his first racing game isn’t going to be the same as my experience on my first racing game. Although the market place is different now, developers have more tools now but have a tough world to compete in with so many games available and so many different people wanting different things from those games, it is impossible to please everyone.

1 Like

Its too bland and I dislike the restrictions halfway to the next class. FM4’s “career” or events list or whatever you wanted to call was more fun for me. However some showcases at least were nice

Hate it tbh.

TBH, I’m very mixed on this one.

On the cons side:

Yes, I agree with many here that the career mode feels simply too restrictive. There’s a lot of racing to be done, but I would say it’s definitely quantity over quality as there’s is a lot of repetition and grinding.

Of course, the best games have “grinds” as well, but “grinding” can have very different meanings: in GT (and indeed, older FMs), “grinding” meant long races in slow cars; think the Vitz on Test Track in GT (3, was it?) or the Class D enduros in FM1/2. I don’t mind that as there were good prizes at the end (and I’m not talking credits; I’m talking the GT equivalent of unicorns) and a real sense of accomplishment. I guess in FM6, “grinding” means doing the identical race again, just switching the car. Way too linear. Even the menu is too linear, arranged left-to-right as it is. Remember the world map in GT3 and FM4? That was unreal, and showed that some real thought had been put into SP.

That’s one problem. For me, the far greater problem is that certain cars can’t be used in SP career AT ALL, and it’s a list that keeps growing with every DLC. To me, that’s a pretty massive middle finger to the SP career mode.

And yes; the lack of car types/drive types/aspiration types races is really, really annoying. It’s just another example of the SP game being stripped down right to its core: a group of races, in maxed-out supercars/racecars, over and over again. I just don’t understand. Is T10 just so hogtied by Microsoft and its XBL product that it has to find way to force more players to look the MP route by neutering SP? Seems to me to be the case.

The pros:

I have, however, found myself experiencing cars that I otherwise wouldn’t have in a quest for completion. Without my goal of reaching 100%, I may never have experienced the '66 Silvia, '89 MR2 or discovered just how racy I could make the SRT Grand Cherokee, as I would have just ploughed through any races that required that car, and moved on to my preferred car types, such as American muscle or Euro performance compacts.

The Showcases are also pretty cool, but I do wish that, once again, we were given a little more car choice there. Some are OK; the enduro on Road Atlanta seems to have the option to pick pretty much every car from the featured class, but others–namely the P race and “Race Driver Experience” stuff just don’t cut it for me.

I could probably say a lot more, but I guess the bottom line is I keep coming back to FM6 SP, and enjoying myself (thank goodness the painting remains robust), which is fine for now as I have no interest in changing to PCars or buying a PS4 atm.

HOWEVER

If the preliminary reports of FM7 (assuming that’s coming some day) have the SP career looking similar, I may have to adjust my focus a little.

3 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly mate, well said.

I have this sneaky suspicion that the days of “Real Forza Motorsport” are behind us. And, that with the introduction of the Horizon series, and ‘certain’ similarities between the two franchises, that in due course, Forza Motorsport with simply morph it’s way into becoming the next Forza Horizon. Be it the next iteration (FM7?) or the following one.

The need to make Forza Motorsport so dependant on online connections, the similarities between the two franchises, and the following Horizon has gained and its continued growth with a certain type of end user, combined with the continual dissatisfaction that’s apparent with the core end user in Forza Motorsports.

Ad that to the obvious reluctance for Turn10 to comment on any technical issue, or fix major issues within the Forza a Motorsports multiplayer issues, yet fix any issue within the Horizon franchise quickly, seems to only ad fuel to the fire they one franchise will eventually cease to exist, and another move over to take its place.

Allowing for an even greater end user base player, and not have to spend so much time, money and effort making Forza Motorsport so “real”. The huge amount of money spent copying real world tracks, making cars perfect replicas of the real world counterparts grows with every iteration of Forza Motorsports. But there’s no need to go to those lengths with the Horizion franchise. As everybody knows that it’s NOT a real world replication, but simply a make believe world.

In Horizion they can getting away with a certain level and degree of realising, however, as we all know, it’s NOT aimed at reality, and simply an arcade game which can get away with the oddities that exist within it.

But Forza Motorsport requires so much more, and even then, it’s not perfect, and the oddities are not addressed like they once were with previous iterations. Adding even more fuel to an ever growing fire.

I certainly DO NOT WANT this franchise to end, but - and it’s a big but mind you, there’s this very nagging and sneaky suspicion in my mind that one thing is definitely leading towards another… .that being, the demise of Forza Motorsport, and the explosion on the Horizion franchise.

Your thoughts please!.

1 Like

perhaps if they gave 1 prize spin for completeing 1 car brand series in the career mode.

What a nice thread to read, and i honestly hope Turn 10 read it too.

First I need to say that I enjoyed the first run though the career, like most of the people here. And I plan on doing 100% completion when Leagues are off or not interesting.

What I absolutely like about the career mode is the commentary of the TopGear crew. I could literaly listen to these guy for hours, or anyone commentary alike for that matter.

Another thing I liked is the Showcases events, I passed thought it easily and I think there should definately be more of it. I passed thought Forza 3 and 4 by playing in the event list, and showcaseI feel like it is pretty much the same as the event list. As off grinding the career mode, it gets way too repetitive after like 30% completion . I do understand that racing gets repetitive easily, but what can keep me interested into playing the career mode is the informations about cars which commentary provides. And that might be why i like showcase so much, having insight by professionnal on rivalry and such is lots of fun.

Also, I don’t understand why make the upgrade only to mid class and not to the top of the class. I know the community is better at tuning than I am, so I don’t like having to download a particular tune setup for multiplayer and another one for single player. As I don’t enjoy tuning that much, and not very good at it.

Still don’t understand why we don’t have the ability to race our own car in endurance races. I would definately gring Volvo affinity in that Bathurst endurance race :wink:

There was also some problem with AI difficulty by having 1-2 cars running far away from the pack that was annoying as hell when I’m just trying to race cleanly to the front in 8-12mins races. And I really LOVE that the race are now longer, especially in Higher class cars.

I think the Solo mode should be 20% career as it stands and then move into an event list for the next 80%. I think that Pcars competition can fuel Turn 10 desire to rethink their career mode.

I really hope this is not the case, I play Horizon like any other game, 10h in it, move back to Motorsport. Horizon is very fun, but lack length. The marketing crew can say whatver they want about 700+ events, but it is pretty much 7 times the same 100 events…

starz36 Wrote - “I really hope this is not the case, I play Horizon like any other game, 10h in it, move back to Motorsport. Horizon is very fun, but lack length. The marketing crew can say whatver they want about 700+ events, but it is pretty much 7 times the same 100 events…”

What strikes me more now than ever before, is the absolute need for me to play Horizions in order for me to climb the Tierage pile,

I’ve almost completed Forza 5 and 6, have some left to do admittedly in Forza 4, but have completed all but 1-2% of previous Firzas, but in order for me to now rise in tierage, I “must complete” Forza Horizion 1&2 and the Fast n Furious game as well IF I’m to rise above tier 8 in Forza Motorsports.

That alone tells me that the two game are SiameseLy linked to each other, and slowly being “blended” together in order to become one - in due course.

The day that happens, ten years of support for a franchise goes out the window, and I move to another game as my base racing game. Which is nothing in and of itself, as I’ll be replaced by several other very casual gamers, The franchise will make more financial income from my departure, than it would if I stayed.

Every genuine hardcore racing game player will be happily replaced with several casual gamers that don’t care one way or another if a cars gauges are incorrect, or the aerodynamics aren’t right with a certain class of GT car, or that the Hybrid System isn’t working properly.

The team won’t care less, as they simply be focused on supplying more bang for your buck for the casual console player. That buys the game then puts it aside, while others basically do the same. Use, rinse, repeat…

I spoke with a manager of a leading Sydney gaming store recently that I knew from my Xbox website days. He said he gets more ‘repeat’ business from the casual player than he does from the hardcore players. He sells more new and used copies of Forza than any other racer, but to the casual gamer.

The hardcore racers are purchasing on day one, and often pre-ordering, but he did say that pre-orders were lessening as years roll on. So it’s in their best interest sales wise to sell and cater for the casual gamer purchaser, NOT the ardent fan base that might exist for a certain franchise. That buys once a year, rather than several times a year.

All of which make perfect and logical financial sense when one thinks about it.

Do you continue to work on a game that is growing smaller each iteration financially due to heavy licensing fees, cost of production etc etc.

Or, do you recreate the game to cater for the ever growing audience that’s in the ‘here and now moment’??? That cares less about exact replicas, or the latest supercar or hybrid racing car that’ll cost tens of thousands to even get hold of, yet alone reproduce.

It doesn’t take a math genius to work out which way the pendulum swings, now does it. Money in the bank talks louder than the fan base does in the end.

1 Like

I have used this idea over the last few events, after going back to the start once I got through unlocking all 5 volumes. Volume one, I use cars with no paint job other than a stock type and try to limit myself to the same manufacturer through the same type of events. Volume 2, add a sponsor or two to my paint job, using the same sponsor, much like you would if you unlocked them in game. Volume 3, more sponsors and more of a race car look, add a number, possibly a name, etc. Volume 4/5, fully sponsored cars used, with name, number, etc.

I know that painting and what not can be a pain in the rear for some, but there are plenty of creators of real world logos on the search feature which makes life a lot easier. Sure, it locks your paint from being put on the market, but it makes the game feel like you are actually working towards something. The sad part is, this feature could have been implemented within the game and I’m sure Turn10 could have made some money off adding real life sponsors in the game via advertising. How I could see it working is, based on how many races you complete/series you could unlock them for use on your paint scheme for your car. So when you saw someone with, lets say Xbox (I know it’s already in the game, just an example) logos for the sake of argument, online. You would know that they have played quite a bit and “should” be a fairly clean and experienced driver.

Just my 2 cents, career mode is very much a barebones experience. I would love to race online, but I just don’t have any friends that I can play online with and the horror stories and past experiences have scared me off, honestly. I have added a few of you off of the forums, but just as drivatars or friends to look for on the leaderboard/rivals. Anyone who is interested, feel free to add me if you would like to play online some time.

1 Like

I like your ideas, thats what i mean about immersion. It doesn’t have to be overly complex, it’s just adding some sense of accomplishment. I always like rags to riches sort of dynamics in games.

However, I am not disciplined enough to set it up for myself and stick to it. I don’t mind creative role playing, but there is a line I draw if I have to do it in Forza career LOL … It’s not Fallout or DayZ