Online Adventure: where participation trophies are worth more than winning

Today I have done 5 racing only adventures. 1st 3 were just racing only. Last 2 I tried racing with no collisions.

I did not use an HE car and did not drift much.

A class. 1st place on xp leaderboard.
B class. 2nd place.
S1. 1st place.
S2. 2nd place
S1. 2nd place.

Maybe I am just lucky but I went there to race to win but did not actually win as many races as normal.

The last 2 I think I won 2 races out of 8 but came 2nd in a few.

I get plenty of clean racing xp and I am wondering if there is a clean streak bonus or something.

So to clarify I go to online adventure, custom and race only.

Also in the no collisions lobby I noticed less drifting than in the racing only so maybe people should try that.

Yes, they change the name, from online roadtrip to online adventure.

Last night i started playing online adventure, and all the critics from fh2 still in there but worst. Now you see the people use HE cars because of the extra xp, and i think the perks works too, so its easier to win without racing to the finish line. I played a championship in class A and i was using the warthog that isnt fast, and 2 guys in a jeep cj were faster than me in a cross country, i tried to beat them (always race to finish first) but couldnt catch them, since i didnt make mistakes, my skill chains were crazy, i finished with 144k xp and won the xp champ.

I agree with Satniteduardo, there should be two tables at the end, or put a new mode “online championship” that have a system of points like the solo one. That way the people would like to cruise or drift play “adventure” and the people that like to race to the finish line play “championship” mode.

Luckily the Cr reward for winning the championship is pathetic anyway, so you don’t lose much.

1 Like

This sums it up. Race however you want, in the end the first place winner gets only 30K in credits. It’s about having fun with the game. I agree with the criticisms above, but only to a point that doesn’t exist. The point doesn’t exist because there is no real reward at the end. Award say, 100K in credits to first place, and there’s some meaning that would make arguing over how they calculate the winner worthwhile. Until then, just have fun. For me, the novelty is that I can pick any car and see how it shapes up against a good variety of online racers. If I want serious online racing, I can always boot up Forza 6. Feel me?

2 Likes

The system is the same as it was in Forza Horizon 2; Turn 10/Playground clearly don’t see it as an issue or else it would have been changed.

You’ve got 4 options:

• Accept it for what it is and continue to play in Online Adventures.
  • Arrange private Multiplayer sessions where you can “make your own rules”.
  • Avoid Multiplayer altogether.
  • Go find another game that suits your ideal Multiplayer requirements.

Major changes won’t be made. To do so would require significant development time and historically no changes on such a scale have been made to a Forza title post-launch.

1 Like

They did change it. I think it was Jonk who posted that they had doubled the xp granted for i think it was clean racing.

That is where i get quite a lot of xp.

Just like Pervasive i do not find it hard to do well on the xp leaderboard just by racing. And no i dont win every race.

My online adventure experience :

I won most of the XP championships being at front of the pack. Only place I did any major drifting was on drive between races and it was hard to call it major, drift through a field but on way to next race

I podium all but one race, and I didn’t always bring the best car to track. I didn’t use HE cars and handily beat a number of them in my 8 adventures that I did.

Only drifting I did was around corners in progress of race. And my goal was to cross line as high as possible, keeping it clean, not hitting anything, sometimes that was 2nd place finish, sometimes in team race that was taking third instead of colliding with 2nd place and fighting at line. And I’ve won quite a few. (In d class upgrades)

I could care less about the XP championship that awards 30k credits? Why do you and it appears as if you are good you can actually win that too at the front of the pack.

I was expecting much worse experience online after reading in forum, it was much better then you guys make it out to be

2 Likes

I tried doing the adventure two different ways. The first way was racing properly, no drifting (to be fair, it was a cross country championship, so skill xp wasn’t hard to come by). Won 4/4 races, made it to every event on time, barely edged out an overall win by about 1k xp. The next adventure was done in a HE car with double xp. Even without the double xp of a horizon edition car, I would have won easily. I was DNF’d 3/4 times, and never made it to an event on time. All I did was drift. 50k xp above second place (who had won all of the events).

Skills account for way too much xp, and finishing position is worth next to nothing. I think the system needs a little bit of a tweaking to make it more enjoyable for everyone.

Ive only done 3 championships completed and won 2 the third was going the same way but i didnt wanna play it anymore. I didn’t have to win every race, i didnt have to drift around like an idiot, but from what i saw its the same bad system as horizon 2.

Ive held my tongue with some criticisms but i just cant for too much longer. Other than a handful of things, its literally a handful, this is a straight up copy paste of horizon 2. I didnt think horizon 2 was a bad game by any means but to release the same game 2 years later seems a little ridiculous.

Most games use their multiplayer as a way to prolong the experience because singleplayer events only last so long. From my experience in horizon 2 since it was new the online roadtrips or adventure (dont know why the name changed,is it really that adventurous)in this case wasnt so bad at first until people started taking advantage of the system and things went downhill.

I think people stopped playing relatively early because of the lackluster online play. Sure you had people that continued to drift and drag in free roam, which continues to be the only two things people want to do and i continued to do rivals for awhile but the game didnt last 6 months.

This game has exactly the same system, but players have, besides taking advantage earlier now have vehicles that boost points even more. I also dont like the fact that you cant really rave what you want, rather race what the masses choose to which is 9 times out of 10 the highest class they can. I see this game also getting shelved sooner than later for many players.

People criticized the road trips in horizon 2 and in 2 years the only addition they could come up with is flag rush. For such a “large” open world theres almost nothing to do. I know technically there are “things”, but once singleplayer is completed you are bound to how others want to play in multiplayer and if you dont like to drift or drag and if youre like me are forced to race ghosts around tracks by yourself.

I dont think horizon 3 is a bad game, but i have never played so little of a forza game at release. I think the graphics are great, i think the world design is great, i think track design is much better than past games, but its just too much of the same thing and is just boring for me at this point.

2 Likes

It is the same general system but the xp has been increased for racing.

One of the devs definitely posted about that and given what I have seen I believe them. I think it was the clean racing xp has been doubled. Their post was before the game came out so it is pretty hard to find it.

Please let me know if you stop playing:

I can’t see the screenshot but im assuming im one of your drivatars. Im not done with the singleplayer so i wont stop playing yet lol. It stinks you cant select who’s on you team though, they keep giving me friends who haven’t played the game. Ive had the same drivatar team since the second day, your drivatar hasnt come up yet.

Yep you came up yesterday. Although you had worse stats than my previous 4 I decided to keep you in case it increases your chances to find me lol

But I always chase the drivatar immediately to make sure I churn through as many as possible, otherwise I would have been left with level 1s lol

Found the thread where JONK1969 commented (twice).

http://forums.forza.net/turn10_postst69171_Multiplayer-racing-clarification-needed.aspx

How hard would it be to have a separate online adventure that gave points for finishing position and that decided the championship? It’s baffling to me they didn’t include something like this after the feedback for FH2, as they already have these in single player. It would solve arguably the biggest issue of multiplayer for most people. But it seems like the issue has only gotten worse in FH3 with adding XP cars to the mix. Plus the PI balance favoring high speed, low grip cars and making race tires almost useless, it seems they wanted it to be overpowered cars drifting around the whole time instead of decent racing. I’m not enjoying FH3 nearly as much as FH2. At least when I actually wanted to drift there were great drift spots. Now I can’t find good racing, or much good drifting

1 Like

I have found good racing in Online Adventure, Custom, Racing only or no collision racing only.

The best racing I’ve had was in no collisons. Wish i found it sooner.

1 Like

Racing only is a little better for me, but drifters have infested those now once they learn there aren’t any playground events in them. I haven’t tried no collisions, might suck out some of the fun but if it ends up with good racing I may have to try it.

I have to be honest I did find it a little ho hum lol. Almost got used to trying to avoid the clowns.

EDIT: lol at the censored word.

1 Like

Okay, come on now kids.

Yes, it’s possible that you can drift and hit jumps and win an adventure. It counts to the adventures you’ve won, not whether you actually won the individual event (or gained the most XP for that event).

No, this never gives you as much points as first place even with the XP boost cars. The person in first would have to crash into every wall and the XP farmer would have to flawlessly grind until the end for that to be something realistic.

Online is still fun, it still works, and you are still rewarded for winning. However if you drive aggressively and hit a lot of things to win, you won’t even touch the points of the guy who crosses the line behind you with much more grace. (You get significantly less points if you don’t finish the race, let alone didn’t make podium).

I’ve been playing a ton of races. It’s annoying when somebody jumps their ranking based on 1000 XP points in between races but the actual XP gain that can come from this is hardly comparable to the 1st place/podium points.

If you are actually winning how much all of you claim you are, you would have won the adventure.

Oh, if you are refusing to touch FH3 online because of this minor, debatable thing - you are missing out and it’s your loss. Gameplay is fair, there is tweaks to be made but nothing about it is broken.

1 Like

Well said lol

That is what Pervasive and I have tried to say.

It is harder to do in mixed adventures but in race only I am confident that my average race finish position is also roughly my xp leaderboard finish. If I win 4 races I win the xp too, if I just scrape onto the podium in the races then I usually finish about 3rd on xp.