No work on FM 8 apparently. Ok, but then...

I love GT Sport and consider it to be overall the better looking game, but this there is just not true at all. I play both games on an OLED 55" TV and GT Sport’s image is much softer than the native 4k of Forza 7. There is really really no denying that, it is very obvious. After all, GT Sport runs at native 1440p and checkerboarded up to 1800p. And it’s very visible.

I urge people to watch the technical comparison Digital Foundry did with both games and you will find out that indeed GT Sport’s car models are regarded as better looking. The have better overall shaders and reflections too (talking opponents cars also), and the tree shadows are not baked in but rendered in real time and depending on the sun’s position. In Forza tree shadows are always in the same position while the light source (sun) and the shadows do not fit together.

I also think that if Forza 7 would implement the things i suggested in my opening post, that it would trump GT Sport easily because objects texture and track textures wise, sky texture wise it is nice and crisp. What i miss from the image of Forza 7 is more ‘depth’ and that comes only from Ambient Occlusion on tracks, car shaders and reflections. Exactly these three aspects are not up to the rest of the quality of the game. Trees in Forza could really use new models. GT Sport and PCars2 do a better job with these rotating layers. It creates the better illusion of a 3D tree in comparison to the X-style trees in Forza. They look really dated

If anything on my tv it seems to be the opposite, gt sport seems a little sharper but more jagged. I dont sit that close to my tv so i dunno. Im assuming the lighting in forza 8 will be the main focus for turn 10 graphics wise, i think that the textures are fine, the trees def need work but imo lighting is the main weakness for forza 7 graphically.

Just a couple quick points…

1. There’s no way they are more focused on FM7 than FM8 right now despite what any live stream says. They have to remain on target for launch every other year.
  2. This game on base XB1 still looks the best out of any current gen race game. PC2 looks last gen compared to FM7. I ran the Nissan GT3 on Spa on both games back to back today and when you do this, the difference is striking. The only PC race game to sniff Forza 7 will be Assetto Corsa Competitizione and that game will be brand new shortly and is targeted toward high end PCs.
  3. OP, the main development of this game is pretty much over. They aren’t going to overhaul the graphics engine for a minority of users when they still haven’t fixed basic gameplay bugs like headlights at night.

-k

2 Likes

@#3

You mean the same basic gameplay bugs that have been around since at least forza 2?

They didnt say no one was working on FM8, only that a team was still dedicated to updating FM7.

In past Forza games there would only be updates for 3 or 4 months and that was it, still fixing bugs 10+ months after release is unheard of for Forza. So I think that the team that is dedicated to fixing bugs is still dedicated to it and hasnt been re-assigned to something else like they normally would have.

I think all your issues are perception based, meaning not everyone would see it the same way as yourself which is pretty hard to resolve. I think all these things above you spoke about are fine, but I am not looking for perfection in any game. Game-play is the most important to me

1 Like

@Im2fast: Forza’s graphics are plenty good enough. What we need is more tracks.

-k

3 Likes

Welcome to games as a service. They set this up in Horizon 3 where they are still giving out challenges almost 2 years now. Forza 7 will probably be supported for that long. Horizon 4 is completely set up for this. Forzathon store, events that continue on and on, cars being drip fed from the car pass and probably well after, I think they even set they have a team just for forzathon live events. The days of playing for a bit are over if you want stuff. I’m not saying it’s bad if it’s done well and so far Forza seems like a good fit.

2020 is a long ways off but if they continue to support 7 and Horizon 4 for longer it can very well happen that 8 is a long ways off. If that’s the case though the pressure is on and it better blow minds.

Frankly I wish they would really take their time and really make something that will hit people hard. And if they keep up 7, for the love of everything… add a few tracks!

1 Like

I also would like to see them not launching a FM8 next year but instead focus on the next gen game. I mean really no disrespect but first of all i did not find the jump from Forza 4 to Forza 5 to be generational and Forza 5-6-7 felt more like iterations than jumps, whereas between Forza 2 and 4 it almost felt like a generational leap within the console generation. As of now Forza 7 comes accross a little bit dated especially in the lighting department. I don’t say it doesn’t look good and i appreciate the FH3’ish skybox, but yeah, i ‘feel’ the dated engine by now.
Guess the series is a bit of a victim of the even at launch relatively weak XBox One hardware.
Nevertheless, what they achieved on that hardware is impressive.

1 Like

^^^^^Pffft.bunch of hot air!!!

3 Likes

@nightdriver7800
Why are you not addressing me directly mate? Why passive?
Anyways: In most cases i choose GTS as an example for very good lighting, especially the intensity of brake and rear lights as i feel that this is something which plays into the immersion quite a lot. Also body roll they do pretty well, physics wise as well as optics wise (replays).
My opening post was about asking of Turn10 to maximize the potential of the platforms they release the game on and i felt that PC does not get the settings it deserves. It has nothing to do with PC elitism. Oh and I also specifically called out that certain individual and not console players as a group.
I love the Forza franchise and that’s why i am consistently bringing stuff up that in my opinion would make the game better. As of now there is no better game with this amount of cars and tracks. The games, that do better in certain aspects do have less cars and tracks. That’s their downside. I just don’t see why that what i ask for should be offensive to anyone, let alone taken as me trashing the game. It’s really far from it. Cheers.

I wouldn’t call Forza 7 games as a service. That’s coming with Horizon 4. A game like the Crew where you will be forced to be online always with forced multiplayer integration. There’s a handful of games that I own that fall under that category and with all of them it makes me a little scared that you are at the mercy of their keeping the servers on, otherwise you have no access to play at all. The Crew, The Division, Steep, and Elite Dangerous are like this. If they decide to pull the plug you’re out of luck so think hard before buying DLC for these. Ubi’s grand plan for the future is that you will stream games from a server farm, never own anything, or even use a console. You won’t own anything, only lease the game use time from them like game pass and when a game comes down, that’s it, you will never again use it.

-k

1 Like

FH4 games as a service? I thought we could play it offline?

About FM7, I wouldn’t mind if they didn’t release FM8 next year and instead kept working to improve FM7. I think it has already improved a lot since it was released last year, but there are stil many issues that could be fixed. Also, I don’t think it would make much sense to release FM8 next year unless it was a significant overhaul on the last version.

I totally agree because, look, what really new stuff could they potentially bring to a FM8 based on the same engine and same console hardware? We have probably the best car models they can manage to run the game at 60 fps, we have the best moving sky that can manage that, we have changing weather conditions. Except a full day-night cycle, everything is in there and quite honestly, i think full day-night cycle is too taxing for the One hardware if you want to keep your game looking good and those moving shadows as the sun moves are really really taxing, that’s why PCars2 looks so bad on consoles and that’s why you have no moving light source in Forza and GT.
I assume they already started work on FM8 but i speculate that it’s on next gen engine.
So: Just keep adding to FM7 and as time progresses you then put more and more devs on FM8 and will have a launch title in Q3 2020 for the new X Box “consoles” (Phil Spencer).
Same btw with FH4. The next FH will be coming 2021 on the next gen i speculate.

1 Like

Pls keep evolving FM7… No FM8😉

2 Likes

We’ve had 3 FM games this gen, and 3 FH games this gen, with FH4 closing it out.

IMO, FM7 will continue with updates and perhaps down the line a big expansion (5-7 new tracks, weather/time/layout updates to existing tracks, cars, etc) is released as a “Season 2” or whatever they wish to call it.

FM8 will most likely be a launch title for the next Xbox, hopefully with a new Forzatech engine.
If you rotate the 8, then you have “Infinity”. Sound familiar? Phil Spencer knows he has to deliver with the next console in games and it’s no secret he likes “Games as a service”. Halo Infinite, Forza Infinity, etc. It could work for a game like Forza (constant updates), but we’ll see.

This sounds like an undercover wish list to me.

I’m ok with updates and expansions for fm7 for the foreseeable future. I need the added game score of expansions to round out my hub points for this game.

I think it’s a great game, but I’m ready for some new, or back from the past tracks to run on.

Why are people expecting FM8 to be in the works as soon as FM7 is released? Can’t be appreciate that a game comes out at all?

1 Like

Because that’s generally how game design works. Last update for current game → team shifts to new project(s).

A current example - Battlefield 1 just had its last monthly patch last a few weeks ago, and now the last few devs that were working on BF1 joined the rest of the dev team working on finalizing Battlefield V.

2 Likes