no tokens? why?

I can identify with what you’re saying if indeed the price was indicative of how “good” a car was in game. In these games, however, price has little to do with effectiveness of a car or what the leaderboard guys are using. In fact, the game offers you “rental” vehicles so new players aren’t locked out of the higher classes.

Take the vintage Ferraris for example. They make these cars expensive because they are rare in real life. The cars are nothing special in game (I have them in other Forza titles). In a couple days of playing you could have your own car in each division, but it that one old car was the one you wanted but don’t want to spend a few hours banking 6 million credits, then I would not be against someone buying it for real money. It doesn’t offer them any real advantage besides being able to drive the car they want faster. You won’t catch me buying tokens, but I don’t think it’s a horrible idea in this instance. You aren’t buying the “gold ammo” equivalent of “golden gas” to make your cars any faster than the next guys’ ride.

-k

Tokens is not needed in this game, you get flushed with money. Buy ViP and get several 100k from wheel spins. In just online races ive won 21 mill so far …

1 Like

Tokens are not needed, i think the VIP is not needed also , I have all the cars and cr i need with no vip,
but please no more of those dreaded tokens, ok rant over :))

2 Likes

Did you not see the price of tokens in Forza 5? The F1 car not cost nearly or over £100 (Cant remember now) Why on earth would you want to spend hundreds of pounds on cars in the game you get for free by playing it? Forza is not a free 2 play game so charging money for cars in the game should never happen. Im glad Playground Games learned from Turn 10’s mistakes.

Save your money. When you’re old you might need it.

I’m glad tokens are gone. Microtransactions have no place in video games. I’m fine with DLC, the more the merrier, but paying money to unlock content you can obtain through a little playtime is asinine.

Credits are so easy to get in the game, it’s ridiculous. All the DLC is free to bolster your arsenal (edit: that’s not a curse word. Last time I checked a major sports team uses that name.) of cars from the beginning, and we all got some amazing cars for our rewards tier level.

Be patient grasshopper, don’t set fire to your cash.

2 Likes

Even more relevant links here (IGN) and here (Gamespot), dated June 2014, explicitly explaining the reason for removing things like tokens.

Although it had no impact on my gameplay, I applaud the decision.

Between VIP bonuses and monthly Forza Rewards payouts, I see no need for tokens. I used them once in Forza 5 just to get the achievement.

If you like me are a fan of old classic cars, you will have to play a lot to incorporate them in to your garage, that’s for sure…

People will complain about anything.

Some players says that tokens allow less experienced players to drive cars intended for players with experience. That’s hogwash. The cost of a car does not dictate how easy it is to drive.

Others will complain the microtransactions are always “in their face”. To me, this is complaining for the sake of complaining. In previous games the tokens were just an extra button you could push. I hardly call that “always in my face”.

In this case, however, people have complained to the point that the developers have removed a revenue stream from the game. There were obviously some players who were happy to contribute additional dollars through the purchase of tokens to fund the development team. Taking that option away takes money away from the developers and, in my opinion, that hurts us all.

…and at the expense of what? A little button on the screen with the words “Use Tokens” next to it. Really? …Really???

1 Like

Getting asked to use real money at every button press after spending £50 on the game was ludicrous! Im sure the devs are doing just fine but if your worried they are struggling financially you could always purchase a good few copies of Forza 5 & Horizon 2.

1 Like

I’m for the game having them, but I’m not for having them changing the pacing, structure or feel of gameplay. I think FM4 hit a decent balance but FM5 failed miserably at that. FH2 doesn’t have them at all for now. I don’t think there’s any reason the game “has to be like real life” as far as obtaining the cars goes. You have to earn or win them in the structure of the game, but being able to pay a reasonable (but not absurd) amount of real cash-money is fair, IMO.

I also believe that FM4 had the perfect balance of tokens, they were not in your face about purchasing tokens and they weren’t really needed. FM5 basically seemed like a free to play game that charged you $60 to play. It is absolutely ridiculous to want $100 for one car when you already paid $60 for the game. FM5 got blasted by that both in the reviews for the game and by customer feedback. If you look at the review scores for FM5, it is the lowest rated game of the franchise and I believe the huge push for tokens was one of the reason. They got burned for tokens in FM5, so now that have to tip toe around them until they bring tokens back. I for one will never buy tokens but I think it is a nice option, unless they go crazy about tokens like they did in FM5.

Asked? Every button press? You’re only exaggerating the way it actually is to make a point and I think that is ludicrous. It wasn’t that bad - you’ve just worked yourself up into thinking it was.

I don’t disagree with this. But this can be fixed by changing the values and keeping the option to use tokens for the people that want to.

1 Like

Simple solution - you do not buy tokens, you buy credits.

You have the choice to top up your credit balance, but this way it is not in your face.

I believe I should have the choice to do so.

Mitchy the expensive cars are not hard to drive.

2 Likes

This ^^. If people want to use it they should have every right to do so, if they don’t that is entirely up to them. I like working towards being able to afford cars if FM5 I had ample time to play have 548 cars in my garage and over 80 million credits. My circumstances have now changed and I am lucky to get 2 hours a week playing FH2 which will make it extremely difficult to afford the expensive cars so if I want to purchase tokens, or be able to top up my credits it would be nice to have the option. At the end of the day it’s up to the individual whether or not they wish to buy these.

I didn’t realise how many championships I had done but last night got the 100 achievement. With the club tier rewards plus monthly rewards I should be buying the Shelby on 1 November if not earlier. That is the top 4 bought plus around 160 other cars.

The cars I don’t own yet will come with ease when heading towards the 168 championships.

Someone said VIPS have it easy. Yes but these days getting a wheel spin is quite rare and then getting 3,300 credits doubled does not do as much for the balance as doing the 6 or 7 or 8 races needed to level up again.

If I use roadtrips to get the 100 playground games done I could probably buy a dupe of every car again.

So it all gets back to what people’s aim in the game is and as pointed out above part time players may need help to get the cars they would like to drive.

If they view the price of early access favourably why should they not have that choice?

1 Like

People complained about 'em, so T10 reduced prices of the expensive cars in FM5, but the Forza citizens complained about 'em more, and now they’re gone. However, in a recent interview with GameSpot, Turn 10 is considering tokens to be an optional feature for those who want to have access to the better cars earlier.

I absolutely loathe these types of microtransactions and am glad they took them out. In Forza 5, if I wanted to drive a car I couldn’t afford I’d either drive it in free mode, or save up for it and feel gratified when I can finally purchase it.

I believe that your financial status in real life should have zero effect in a video game but alas in today’s day and age it is not the case. Now, you have to pay extra to become a VIP to have exclusive benefits. Why can’t all players who purchase the initial game be treated the same? If you don’t want to spend time playing the game properly and you’ve got lots of money to blow on virtual credits then you’re set!

Don’t get me wrong, I understand all of these microtransactions from a business standpoint, I’m just so disappointed that the gaming industry has come to this.

There’s nothing worse than bragging to your friend about the expensive classic you just bought after hours of racing only to have him get the same car because he spent $10 of his parent’s money on car tokens in a matter of minutes.

Sorry for the rant. I still love the franchise despite it’s obsession with microtransactions.

FM4 and FH1 got tokens right in that they were designed so that they didn’t interfere with the game’s economy and were just a way for people who didn’t want to or have time to buy cars via in-game currency and didn’t mind putting down real money to buy them.

Where I think tokens got problematic was FM5, that is a situation of the game economy where either pay outs are so low or items or so expensive (or worse, a combination of both) that it appears the game was designed so that players would get so frustrated at grinding currency to buy items that they would eventually cave in to micro transactions. Face it, FM5’s initial payouts sucked and I know some people wondered if this was to get players to spend real-life money on tokens to acquire in-game items.

The most notorious example of a current game economy that appears to be trying to milk players for micro transactions is Grand Theft Auto: Online. A lot of you people out there know that community is frustrated over how items are so expensive ($50,000 car horn?) that the amount of time needed to buy things is painfully long, thus there is an appearance the economy is trying to get players to buy “Shark Cards” or real-life money for in-game currency to just avoid what could be days worth of grinding. (This is made worse by the occasional time-limited item that is only around for a month or so). The pricing of the Shark Cards is controversial too, to buy the tank online (which is available free to the player in single player in terms of real-life money) you would have to spend about the same amount of real-life currency of half of GTA:V’s purchase price - think about that, just for ONE vehicle in one particular game mode.

And that’s the real issue at hand, I don’t think a game should be built in a way where the player either has to choose between long-bouts of un-fun grinding or having to resort to what could be ridiculously priced micro transactions.

1 Like

again a lot of people have expressed their views on how the game should be played and how they think things should work etc. i respect all of your differing viewpoints but a lot of you do not offer the same courtesy to others. yes tokens are fairly easy to get and yes you can buy a lot of cars in a relatively short time but if you want to own ALL of them as i would like to do, that is not easy. in regard to “earning the cars” as some people mentioned, yes there is satisfaction in earning all the credits to buy every car. but you know some of us, like me, have actual jobs and families and real life commitments that tend to take up many hours of the day not leaving a lot of time for gaming. by some of the things said it is obvious that a lot of you are young who might have hours and hours a week to play games. i envy you! i wish i had that, but i don’t. my college aged nephew can play for 6, 8 or even more hours on a given day but my gaming time is much more limited. so yes i would like the OPTION of using tokens to buy some of the cars that it would otherwise take me months to “earn.” and i fail to see why some people get so upset at the mere concept of tokens. NO ONE is required to use them! you can do it the traditional way if you like. and yes they were ridiculously overpriced in forza 5 and i didn’t like paying so much for tokens but i chose to do it a few times because i didn’t have the time to buy all the cars in the traditional way. that should be my option and anyone else who agrees. and those who disagree simple solution: don’t buy tokens! do it your way. win win. i just fail to see the value in limiting the game experience for players. in my opinion it is just plain selfish to say the game should go this way only and i don’t care if others don’t like it.