Need Feedback: Mclaren 720S R-Class Tune

Hey guys,

So, basically, I’ve tuned an R-Class Mclaren 720S. It doesn’t have loads of downforce, but it has a lot, and I mean a lot of power for the class. It is AWD. It’s really for me to just enjoy, but I want to extract the most amount of grip from the tyres and make it handle like a champ. So far I think I’m close to making it perfect, I just want some feedback to see if I can improve the car. Also, under hard braking from super high speeds, it scrapes the floor but doesn’t bottom out, weird.
I’ve been using DLTuning as a guide. If you wanna help me out, I’ll share the tune tonight.

Happy holidays everyone.

SB401

Edit: Reply on this thread if you want to test my tune.

I am not great racing in the R-class zone, yet, can give it a run. My 720S was setup for RWD, S800. So, just quickly built up an R-class with 686 HP, Race/345 @ 2774 lbs (46%) to test. Front tires at 245. I am sure, per your post, it will have a lot more power, yet, just wanted to have a quick go at it.

BTW, what tracks are you racing the car? Thanks!

PRKid

1 Like

Hey man,

I’ll upload the tune today for you to try out. I’ve made it so it’s a “Street Build”, so it’s not supposed to be the most competitive. But as I said, I want to extract the most amount of grip out of the sport tyres. I’ve been testing on the Mugello Circuit. The tune is now up.

SB401

1 Like

Thanks! I am out for the weekend, yet, will grab it as soon as I get back and give it a run.

PRKid

No problem! I’ve just redone the tune so I will upload it on Tuesday, hopefully in the morning in the UK.

OK!

Is the GT “SuitedBadge401”…??

Yep.

I tried the car at Mugello full and ran a 1:51.986 which would put me top 200 in the world. The car does understeer a bit off throttle. And it doesn’t like the rumble strips too much so I’m afraid to use all the track to really push it. I hope this helps.

1 Like

Have not driven the car but based on this, I’m guessing the Decel diff is quite high and I would reduce it!

1 Like

Since TRUEbk ran it at Mugello Full, I decided to give it a go @ the Club Circuit to test its acceleration. I was actually surprised how well it handled. Managed a 55.394 (LB # 37, Hardcore #3), yet, this car can get into the 53’s provided it gets additional front grip (be it via tune and/or tire width). I do see a lot of potential, yet, may need some minor tune mods if you decide to stick to the build. I think this car can actually be faster with slightly less power and put it in handling. I also had some difficulties with understeering (front grip) along with a lateral slide which could be the braking settings and/or my ability to get use to them.

** Note: No TCS used…HC.

PRKid

1 Like

Front width is maxed out. Not too sure how to cure the understeer because the setup is already geared towards oversteer. I’ll fiddle around to see what happens.

Yeah, understood! Though, you can also try Race compound for add’l grip. The primary issue is of course no front aero, yet, understand you want the build that way.

I will tune something up with your exact build and see what I can do! There are several settings, in addition to the Diff that TRUEbk highlighted above.

PRKid

Since the car is all-wheel drive I would look at a diff settings that plays a big part on awd.

1 Like

Thanks bro, front accel is already at 20%, while rear accel is at 90. I’ll decrease the front to 10 and I’ll see what happens.

For the 2 items that TRUEbk mentioned…(1) lift-off understeer…test Diff at 45/0 ; 75/10 ; 70, and, (2) rumble strips…test Higher Rebound/Lower Bump. (in the 10’s or higher/2’s or lower)

For many AWDs, I have used the Diff as high as 100/0 ; 100/0 ; 100…basically “simulating” a RWD.

I used the Default tune and just adjusted the R&B along with the Diff, do not see either issue during my drive. In addition, for the braking, I always use rear-biased.

PRKid

Just a quick note on your build…you can get rid of 13 lbs by…using STOCK Flywheel and going to lightest rims (ex. Magnum III), rest the same. HAB stats will show on a positive note!

Did not test, yet, you can also try adding the Cage for add’l grip,

Thanks for the help! I’ll try out what you suggested.

I’ve just completed an Aventador SV tune of the same nature, and for some reason, it feels much, much better than the 720S, I don’t know why, considering that Lambos aren’t really known for being dynamically gifted. Maybe it’s because of the native AWD system. Anyway, the thing’s insane to drive.

1 Like

Most likely!!!