My FH4 Dream Garage Project

I decided to give myself a project…

Like many enthusiasts, I enjoy speculating about the perfect garage line-up.

For me, the perfect garage would contain the following:

1. Daily Driver
  2. Roadtrip Car
  3. Date Night
  4. Weekend Fun / Track Toy
  5. Dream Slot

My wife thinks I’m a bit mad but I’ve decided to put my speculation to the test!

I’ve compiled a list containing (nearly) every in-game vehicle plus a few additional models based on real-life versions that aren’t otherwise available - e.g. the Mugen Integra Type R.

The plan is to test and judge each vehicle until I’ve narrowed things down to just five (or possibly six) vehicles.

Feel free to comment below with your own thoughts or suggestions, or with your own dream garage arrangement. :+1:t2:

Tell your wife, I feel like she is correct.

You need a hobby. Damn man, find something to do with your time.

That being said, I will be working on my own 5/6-car garage now, since I have no wife to think poorly of me. I have an ex for that. lol.

2 Likes

Let me know what you end up with in your own dream garage. :+1:t2:

On a separate note, I’ve now acquired every vehicle for the project. In total it’s set me back around 820,000,000 CR (some of the vehicles were rather expensive on the Auction House).

I’ve also now tested each vehicle and decided what categories I’ll be considering each vehicle for.

This means I now have a shortlist for each category:

Daily Driver - 127 vehicles
Roadtrip - 98 vehicles
Date night - 42 vehicles
Weekend Fun - 277 vehicles / Track Toy - 218 vehicles
Garage Dream - 60 vehicles

Of the 600+ vehicles on my original list, 229 have now been eliminated.

So I’ve now surpassed my second milestone for the challenge (the first milestone being the acquisition of every vehicle for the test).

The second milestone was to test-drive each vehicle and identify it’s potential place(s) in my dream garage.
(I should mention that this little project was well underway by the time I posted about it - I haven’t rattled through 667 cars in 24 hours!)

The results are as follows:

• Daily Driver - 127 vehicles.
  • Roadtrip - 98 vehicles.
  • Date night - 42 vehicles.
  • Weekend Fun - 277 vehicles.
  • Track Toy - 218 vehicles.
  • Garage Dream - 60 vehicles.

This means that 229 vehicles have been removed from consideration with 438 vehicles still in the running.
The next stage is to whittle down these results until I’m left with my top five for each category.

I’m not overly surprised at the number of results for the Weekend Fun and Track Toy categories. As far as Weekend Fun is concerned, I’ve tried to be open-minded about whether that fun will take place on tarmac or on a good dirt trail, and about whether I’ll be driving something modern or something more classic. It also goes without saying that each category considers vehicles which offer automotive enjoyment within a game also centred around automotive enjoyment.

As it is there’s a few more statistics which I’m interested in calculating. I’ll include them in my next update.

Not needed.

What criteria are you testing against Alasdair? It is a “feel” test when driving them or something more scientific?

For the purposes of my dream garage it’s entirely subjective.

I have taken objective measurements though for other projects across a wide-range of metrics.

Time for a little update.

I’ve now whittled down my Date Night category. With the smallest shortlist this seemed like the best place to start.

To make things more immersive, I set up an evening drive (via the Blueprint tool) from Ambleside Village to Fairlawn Manor.

These are the five vehicles that I enjoyed most (I’ve yet to pick my winner):

• Aston Martin DB11
  • Audi R8 Coupe (1st Gen)
  • Bentley Continental GT
  • Ferrari F12 Berlinetta
  • Mercedes Benz SLS AMG

I now have my finalists in the Roadtrip category:

• Audi R8 V10+
  • Ferrari 488 Pista
  • Lamborghini Aventador SV
  • Mercedes AMG GT-R
  • Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 (997)

Whittling down this group was a fun challenge as there were some great vehicles on the shortlist.

In a surprise twist, my prediction going into this project hasn’t even made it into the top five.

I’d also like to give an honourable mention to the Alpine A110 and the little Alfa Romeo 4C. These cars take the supercar recipe and shrink it right down yet still deliver incredible enjoyment and sense of occasion. I absolutely loved each of them and came very close to choosing one of them for the top five.

So I started going through my own and noticed we may have different definitions for the categories. No matter, it’s all highly personal anyway.

I am doing hugely subjective sweeps in narrowing down my selection, since hey, it’s not just about the drive anyway. I’m also basing these off of stock performance which knocks a lot of amazing cars out of the running. To make up for that, I might offer some as modded alternatives.

So for Daily Driver, I imagine this as my everyday car, suitable for if I only had one car, and fitting to my current lifestyle (kids…lol) So fun, but high in utility, might even end up as an SUV.
Road trip car to me is like a vacation. So it needs to be able to hold a little luggage and be comfortable to drive for long periods. So as awesome as Lambos are, I think I would lose feeling in my legs if I had to pull 6 hours in one.
Date Night also related to me being older. As sweet as it would be to pull up in a Ferrari Pista…if she can’t get in the damn thing, and I’m struggling to get out of it…kinda kills the mood for the date.
Weekend Fun is where the real road burner is. No need for utility. Find back roads, switchbacks, hill climbs, etc. Return to the real world after.
Track Toys kinda stuck me a little. They are dedicated machines. But are they mind-numbingly fast near-race cars…or happy track burners like the KTM…or any of the fine off-road selections. Still not sure.
Garage Dream - still would want to drive it…but by no means flog it. This one is to be babied, pampered, shown off, and looked at more than used.

So my first guesses are as follows:

1. Daily Driver- 2011 Audi RS3 Switchback
  2. Road Trip Car- 2018 Dodge Challenger Demon
  3. Date Night - 2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed (can’t deny the sheer class of a Bentley)
  4. Weekend Fun - 2019 McLaren 720S Spider (topless, baby)
  5. Track Toy - 2014 Porsche 918 Spyder
  6. Garage Dream - 1956 Jaguar D-Type (this might not even make it to a driving test…it has been a fav of mine for a lifetime.)

I’d say your definitions are spot on and very close to my own thinking. Loved this bit in particular:

As for your selections - some great cars there!

No longer required.

Following on, I now have my Track Toy finalists:

• MINI JCW GP
  • Nissan R35 GTR Nismo
  • Porsche Cayman GT4
  • Renault Megane RS Trophy-R
  • Subaru BRZ tS

The LEGO expansion may not be everyone’s cup of tea but the Falcon Circuit Motorsport Park (which is part of it) provided the perfect testing ground. Parts of it even reminded me of Tsukuba.

To narrow down this category I focused on two questions:

1. What vehicle(s) inspired the most confidence?
  2. How well does the vehicle keep pace when I started pushing it?

My fun on a racing circuit doesn’t come from chasing lap records so I chose to ignore lap timing for this part. How the vehicle feels and how I feel driving the vehicle are more important factors for me.

And here’s my top five in the Weekend category:

• Ford Focus RS (2017)
  • MINI JCW GP
  • Porsche 718 GTS
  • Porsche 911 Carrera S (992)
  • Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 (997)

Three Porsches in the top five might seem a bit boring or excessive but each model represents something different to me. To allow only one because of a shared badge would be undermine the aim of my project.

Of particular interest to me is the overlap between this category (Weekend Fun) and the Track Toy category. Traditionally, I’ve assumed that one vehicle could work for both roles but I wanted to test things independently and see whether that assumption held up. At the moment, there’s two vehicles which appear in the final five for both categories.

This update contains my final five for the remaining two categories.

Here’s my Daily Driver finalists:

• Audi RS3 Sportback
  • Jaguar I-Pace
  • Mercedes Benz E63 S AMG
  • MINI JCW Convertible
  • Volkswagen Golf R (Mk 7)

And my Dream Slot finalists:

• Bugatti Divo
  • Ferrari F40
  • Honda NSX-R ('05)
  • McLaren F1
  • McLaren Senna

Irrelevant now.

Well I’ve now made my choices and settled on my dream garage line-up.

Here’s what I’d pick (and why):

Daily Driver - Mercedes Benz E63 S AMG

The only downsides to the mighty E63 S are it’s price and the appetite of it’s thundering AMG heart - neither of which matter in a dream garage.

Roadtrip - Audi R8 V10+

The Audi R8 caused quite the upset in my test by beating out it’s more dramatic sibling (the Huracan Performance). Somehow, the more compelling argument was always in the Audi’s favour: more supple and comfortable than the Lamborghini, more supercar than a 911, more exotic than Merc’s AMG GTS. It’s like Audi’s picked the best bits of the super car recipe and combined them in one R8 shaped package.

Date Night - Mercedes SLS AMG

In terms of theatre it’s hard to beat the SLS - what with the elongated hood, chariot-esque driving position, the gull-wing doors, and that signature AMG bark. I expected the Bentley to win here but it just didn’t compare to the magnificent Mercedes.

Weekend/ Track - MINI JCW GP

It turns out that one car can fill both roles… so I don’t need to remodel my fantasy garage - phew!

Now some may question my choice here - a FWD hatchback over a Porsche GT model - but it’s all about fun and what each of us enjoy most. For me, the authenticity and competence of the Porsche is met in equal measure by the charm and enthusiasm of the MINI. It was a clear victory for me.

Garage Dream - Bugatti Divo

Finally we come to my Dream Slot and the Bugatti Divo. The Senna very nearly stole the win here but there’s just no topping the Bugatti. There may be faster cars but nothing for me comes close to combination of ultimate performance and timeless elegance.

Special mention here goes to the NSX-R which came in third (ahead of the Ferrari F40 and the McLaren F1). The Ferrari and McLaren are beautiful cars but the NSX just leaves me weak at the knees.

So my project is now complete!

I’ve had great fun testing everything and drawing my in-game conclusions.

At the end of the day Forza is just a game but, in my opinion, it does a great job of representing different vehicles and allowing the player to enjoy them virtually. And… in a time when our regular automotive outlets are abnormally restricted… it provides an alternative outlet and a great way to enjoy our automotive passion.

For those that have glanced at this thread - I hope it’s been of interest. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

This was a great read, thanks for taking us through it.

I am about halfway through a much less thorough trip myself with a few personal surprises in it as well. The trick was taking everything as stock, as I would have considerably different choices if allowed modifications. So sadly, many of my favorite older cars did not make the cut as their emotional appeal is far greater than their performance appeal. Normally, this would still keep them in my realistic world since the idea of comparing $250k + is unthinkable…but hey, this is a game, so everything is fair game. I’m interested to see how my own choices pan out.

Not required.