Mclaren F1 1993 Handling Rant

Yep I beat everything with it stock on unbeatable, the Marathon was actually really tough with no rewind and how much this car wiggles loose. (I know I’m crazy) Not to mention the brakes are garbage stock lol, only thing that’s really good is the power and sound. I recommend you tune it and drop the difficulty if you’re having trouble.

The McLaren F1 is a car built for speed. Its body is very slippery. Most of its downforce is generated by a fan on its underbody. At high speeds, it does not have the same cornering ability as modern cars.

Still, despite being a difficult car, it should handle well enough for its class and it accelerates very quickly. The wet road and cheating AI are what makes the event difficult.

2 Likes

Soo I did it I found out what was wrong with it, it turns out you cant use any gas in tight corners, I completly let go of the gas pedal and it turns fine, I guess they didnt have the technology at the time for powersteering :smiley:

They did, it’s just that the F1 was designed to have great wheel feedback and maintain a low weight so it wasn’t included. Power steering has been around since the 50s-60s.

I did the entire challenge with a bone stock one, doesn’t handle that bad really.

I did the challenge with the car stock and I’m far from being an accomplished driver.

Just brake early and not too hard and don’t put the power on while still in a corner. Use the car’s acceleration and high top speed to pull away from the enemy cars on the straights.

Power steering has nothing to do with understeer, though

Did not like this car stock. Installed AWD and spent a bit of time tuning…and it turned into an awesome car. Finished the road races on Expert difficulty and Marathon on “Average”. …didn’t want to take a chance on losing the 8 minute race, hence the lowered difficulty. Both of these races were as low PI as possible. The top speed portion had a vastly different tune (just bolt-on’s) but I was amazed at how fast this car is on the top end.

Try my S1 900 “Forzathon Easy” tune. It’s easy mode. The Marathon was a breeze.

The key is to keep this car at S1 900 and not creep up into S2. And use your brakes! The car does handle beautifully, but cannot grip enough at really high speeds. S1 is usually a good choice for Street Scene races anyway due to the AI drivers’ magic handling.

I agree it doesn’t have enough grip for S2, but for S1, I found it to grip really well at high speeds. I compared it against the new Z4 and M3-GTR, all tuned to S1:

I ignore the amount of grip it has by sliding around all the bends, it’s just a matter of turning early. It works well with this car, because the back end doesn’t spin round.