LOOT BOXES, A RATIONAL DISCUSSION..... PLEASE.

@RavingLunatic: That’s the problem - it is totally your buissiness. T10 has limited resouces an they have to decide: build a new track or build a loot system? You don’t have to open the loot box, but the implementation of the loot system has effects to your game aswell. In F6 I could race for badges, do you have this option now? Is their a badge in F7 showing the successful finish of certain game aspects? Are these badges implemented in your I-don’t-open-loot-boxes-version of F7?
When people buy tokens in the future and keep the system running, it is only a matter of time when the first cars will show up to be exclusively accessable in loot boxes. Not your buissiness?

1 Like

If you read the WIR you see where it is mentioned they monitor the data of users in the game and adjust things accordingly. I don’t need the data to realize that the loot crates are about as popular as a fart in a lift so it is safe to assume even if they bring in microtransactions and the base are not buying them they will look at other ways. MS and T10 are in the field to make money and will try everything they can to achieve this which also helps pay the staff. Now you said yourself - Limited Resouces - I think they do better than most as far as a budget goes but with that somebody on here said in discussion No 56 of this very topic that games have been pretty much the same price for years so they need to find that extra buck elsewhere and I agree with that. If they release cars and tracks and we all buy them and they do the cash for loot crate thing with low sales they might take a long hard look at their next move.

Such a strawman argument.

Games cost the same, but their sales reach has vastly increased.

All it takes is a handful of whales, and it suddenly becomes worth it…

If they’re so unobtrusive, then please tell me where I can buy the few driver gear outfits that I want? Or earn the badges I want? Or how to increase payout from turning off assists?

2 Likes

I believe the loot crates are just the start of Microsoft and T10’s plans for future paid micro-transactions.
Take call of duty, people spend ridiculous amounts of real money on micro dlc.
Doesn’t make good business sense to leave them out of a AAA title like forza.

1 Like

Correct, but if the vast majority don’t buy them it won’t be financially viable to spend the time developing them.

Assuming Micro Transactions are defined as in-game purchases to obtain content that can be earned with no money by actually playing the game, then:

What do clearly advertised as “Time saver” DLC in games count as? If they’re bought inside the game are they Micro transactions, but not if they’re bought outside the game? Does VIP and a car packs in Forza count as “Time savers” or micro transactions because you can buy the within the game? They definitely are time savers if you want to complete the career or get the achievements.

The vast majority will buy them that’s the problem.
Found this interesting read

You do need data. What makes you think theyre unpopular? Because a few forum users dont like them. In the time it took you to write your post thousands may have been opened around the world.

It seems to me that the boundaries between what you can do if you wish, and what you must do to complete or play the game have become blurred. Don’t like boxes, leave them be, like them, then open some.

Simples

1 Like

A few forum users don’t like loot boxes? I don’t even know what to say to that.

It’s not “simples”. If current trends were allowed to stay happening, even the people that would never use loot boxes are going to be affected.

3 Likes

The loot crates don’t bother me either way and I only buy the Expert and Master ones. FM6 I could earn medals/tokens(whatever they were) racing and if I couldn’t wait I could click the button and pay a buck to unlock a car early I am not seeing anything new here other than another product on offer. I suspect these pay systems are unpopular when they have federal level inquiries in many countries etc this didn’t come from them looking at the Forza forum but these systems in general. The person playing the game might not mind the buy option but as my brother and his wife soon found out the credit card owner might not be too happy if you let your son loose. I downloaded RaceRoom and it is great but F2P I can’t criticise the game, love and recommend it but you get about 1-2 cars and a couple of tracks to start with and by the time they finished with me I reckon I purchased both FM7 Ultimate and FM6 Standard then the DLC’s combined for what RR cost me. I got four of those 300’000 - 325’000CR loot crates and they were all fizzers IMO so even if they did give the charge option they would want to take another peek at what they are putting in them or they will fail big time. Blowing hard earned CR is one thing but the real money is another.

I don’t mind loot boxes if they can only be bought with in game currency. However in Forza’s case I despise them.

They released a broken buggy game. They delayed the auction house by a week and still launched it terribly. There’s still no leagues. Multiplayer is still crash-infested because of no penalty systems.

And yet… they manged to implement loot boxes at launch.

Absolutely sickening…

3 Likes

The forum doesnt speak for users of the game, only the tiny percentage of users that happen to use the forum. Vews here arent representative.

As for “allowing” a trend to continue I’ve no idea how you propose to exert your personal preferences on a multi billion dollar global business sector.

At the end of the day its extremely simple. Don’t use boxes if you don’t like them and don’t buy any game that you believe is exploitative. That, I’m afraid, is as much as any of us can do.

4 Likes

I actually have no problem with the loot boxes when they are implemented how the are at the moment.

However I do have a problem with them implementing gimmicky features (loot boxes) at launch when the community has been crying out for fixes to the game and it’s features.

I also have a problem that time and resources were spent implementing loot boxes at launch instead of the Auction House or Leagues. It just shows where there priorities are when it cones to the community.

3 Likes

If ingame money was the only way to buy the loot boxes and stayed that way (for this game and future Forza titles) I wouldn’t be anywhere as annoyed by their inclusion. I still wouldn’t like them, but I’d know the game’s content and progression isn’t affected at all.

I somehow think they wouldn’t exist anymore without an opportunity to be monetised though.

1 Like

I don’t think that loot boxes are the reason that the game was launched with issues. I don’t even believe that they’d have taken up much development time in the great scheme of things. Had they stuck with spins I imagine the game would have been much the same at launch. Yet again I get the impression that T10 were given the task of getting the game ready to launch with new hardware but unlike FM5 which was lacking in content but relatively bug free, FM7 has lots of content but is riddled with bugs.

As for Auction House and Leagues. I can understand why they wouldn’t be running at launch. To function properly both need a certain critical mass of players and had they been activated at launch they’d have been barren affairs.

I struggle to understand why there’s so much animosity towards these loot boxes. I play the game for a couple of hours whenever I get the chance and I don’t even notice their existance. Sure, I purchased a couple way back before the VIP was changed but other than that I haven’t bothered with them. They’re totally unobtrusive and have absolutely no bearing on the game. This is why I just don’t get why people moan about them.

1 Like

Wrong perspective.

Any game with loot boxes, the ENTIRE game is built around it. Everything. Its not just tacked on. Every system, mechanic and loop is built around loot boxes. Its not “minimal” or “unobtrusive” at all.

7 Likes

Exactly.

And the same is true for tokens. The game has to built around them in order for the tokens to have some kind of value for you to purchase them.

All tokens and lootboxes do is gate off content in order for the publisher/developer to sell you the content you already bought a second time, and to rephrase it a bit, I have no idea why ANYONE is ok with that.

3 Likes

In other games that seems to be true. In Forza it seems like they could rip them out completely without much impact. Maybe adjust the credit payout to compensate for lack of mod cards, or offer the mod cards some other way.

I’m not really a fan of them and tend to not play games that have them, but here they just seem like a mild distraction that serves as a statement that this isn’t a super serious game.

You just answered your own question.

To remove loot boxes they must:

Rework the entire reward system
Rework or remove the entire mod card system.
Rework the entire race system which is based on mod cards
Rework the entire car status system (no point having common/uncommon/rare/super rare/legendary) without loot boxes.

But sure, thats not “much impact”

2 Likes

Changing a modifier that calculates credit payout for each lap driven doesn’t sound like hard work. Nor does it sound difficult to remove the mod card/loot boxes menu item.