Its time to discuss: Replay Cameras

Forza Horizon 1, the replay cameras still worked on auto. I mean the replays still allowed you to put the controller down and watch the replay without having to scroll through all the camera angles manually. I never played horizon 2 so not sure about that game. Forza Horizon 3 and 4 have no auto camera mode. I very disappointed. I want to kick back on the couch and watch relays in 3,4 but not an option. :frowning:

I also agree. I am a person who loves watching replays on good races. But this one has absolutely no really usable cameras and always flipping between panning since those ones are exciting if correct angle. Really wish it had some auto mode. I meanā€¦ So many free roam games for a long time have had good auto cinematic camerasā€¦

Iā€™d love a better replay feature, but at the same time, itā€™s such a complex proposition, Iā€™d rather them concentrate on more core game issues. As it is, I know I could edit together something decent with enough time & replays & recorded clips, but man would it be a PITA.

Even the ā€œCinematic Camā€ in RDR 2 does a better Job than the various cameras in H4ā€™s replay mode. I loved watching replays in Gran Turismo 1-3 back in the days when I still played the series.
Forza never reached the quality of GT in this aspect and in Horizon 4 it seems like the worst iteration.
I once had an insanely lucky and impressive 5-cars-overtake on a narrow road with over 300 kmh and wanted to watch it. It took minutes to get a camera working in a way which portrayed the whole unlikeliness of the situation properly.
I never touched the replay mode again.

I think one of the reasons for not making any improvements on the replays, is that they donā€™t want anyone listen to the bad AI sounds.
Seriously, the AI during replays sounds awful. They often sound like they have or use only one single gear. And the sound sample itself is also not suitable for serious replay watching.

As for making TV-like cameras, TC2 and GTA5 use a dynamic system which automatically creates ā€˜track-sideā€™ or flybe cameras. So it is not like they have to place cameras for each and every track by hand.

I am still waiting for such a system in Horizon, but it seems they donā€™t care about replays at all.

Well, one easier to implement option I think is just have ā€œDynamic cameraā€ So imagine this. Pause, enable dynamic camera. This goes into default camera control for pics so you can place the camera.

After this, controls work as a zoom in/out of sorts. One control changes what camera is locked to. So other cars or tracks, then next is aim target. Other cars or tracks. So now camera is following rail (driving path) and pacing to target or can follow lock to look at target, zooming out if space gets larger, zooming in to the minimum you set.

Then it keeps this setting for next time

Now we forever have awesome drone replays for whole race!

Something like the replay editor in the old Skate games would suit this well.

Hi, I wouldnā€™t say that, Iā€™m most disappointed (again) on the sounds, and feel of speed, take a look at the link below, all of that was made with replay cameras/drone by me (Solo).

Iā€™d love a broadcast style replay.
The current angles are just rubbish.

Two Words:
Gran Turismo

Their replays always owned and were actually worth watching. Even with the very first games they really could fool you for watching a TV replay (if you stood bit further away and couldnā€™t see the pixels).
I know no other racing game series that covers this job so well.

why are there no replays in driftclub 2.0 , someone needs to be fired

1 Like

I completely support this, I want to finally see motorsports type camera angles for the replays.

I just watched a replay 20 minutes ago, I used the pan across camera, I like that camera, my only moan is that its the last camera you get to in the list.

Yes the replays in FH2, 3, and 4 are really disappointing, the only one that comes even slightly close is selecting the Pan Across and then pressing the button to change perspective every 30 seconds, Finding the camera (right at the end) and then resetting is all a bit of a pain. The replays in FH1 were better in that there WAS a TV camera option, but even that didnā€™t have any trackside cameras, it is still better than the last three games thoughā€¦Weirdly the X360 version of FH2 got the TV cameras of FH1 but the XOne version didnā€™t!!

TV style replay camera would be great in free roam as well. It could buffer x many minutes. That way we could all make Don Joewon Song style videos, minus the skill level. But sometimes you pull off something awesome in freeroam and you might be using bumper cam or something.

While I generally like to apply this to any forza game. I think the need for it in forza horizon 4 is even greater. I think the camera abilities in forza are lacking to an extreme. The presets we get are good in some scenarios, but often there is a need for something more. If someone wants to make a cinematic movie with the game its harder than it needs to be or in some cases likely impossible. I think we should have something like the rockstar editor where we can move the camera in just about any way around the car, change the environment, so on so forth. It would be nice to be able to freely take a clip I took during gameplay and go over it changing camera angles and turning into a movie of sorts.

Let me know what you think

Thanks

2 Likes

Oh yes, for sure. Camera angles really need a lot of work. They havenā€™t changed or improved them since Horizon 1.

With Horizon now on a more powerful console and also PC, they should be able to do it. I almost always skip the replays due to the angles, which is a shame because there is a lot of replay value and enjoyment to be had in watching replays,.

I wish they would have added Broadcast View and I agree that the current replay camera and overall system is Rubbish. Itā€™s not technically impossible to have random view angles if Devs being lazy coz we have these camera angles in Driver, GTA and few other games which are Open World titles. I am also disappointed that we donā€™t have the 3D Camera mode in driving as well or whatever you like to call it Tiger Cam, Eagle View or 3D all same thing for me like in GTA V you can enjoy your vehicles in any angleā€¦ It could have been so cool to add that in the gameā€¦ I believe they can still this an update and it will be a complete 10/10.

Iā€™m also disappointed that they have flat surface under all the cars, it just doesnā€™t feel right there should have been a complete under carriage design. It is not something that even XBOX One or PC canā€™t handle.

CHECKPOINT CAMS!

Fixed cameraā€™s all over the map would probably be very difficult to implement.
However, Iā€™d say it should be possible to fix cameras to checkpoints.
Maybe a certain offset up and to the side would work, and it would film the car until it has passed the checkpoint. Maybe it does need a collision check so you donā€™t have cameraā€™s spawning in the middle of a mountainā€¦ maybe it is very difficult anyway, but this seemed the most logical way to me.

I would love a more robust replay system, this game is so good looking and we all love cars right, replays are great just to appreciate the graphics and cars

I definitely see the problem of cameras for every route and race, but even an option to cycle through camera views as we watch the replay would be welcome, Iā€™m sure not every different view cycled through would be perfect but anything would be better than the replay options right now