Historic Road Racing Homologation Hot Lap Challenge & Tuning Comp at Road Atlanta (Results In)

I have uploaded an AMC Rebel if anyone wants to try it forgot to change the file name but it is the only one i have up, i’ll change it when i’m next on.

Gonna give one or two of these ago over the next day or two will let you know how they do.

I managed to run another tune before things got weird with my XBOX yesterday.

HLR Moss. 1971 Plymouth Cuda 426 Hem = 1:37.160
Umm… I don’t think you are at a disadvantage with the Cuda. It drove just like it was supposed to and I am still envious of your ability to make curbs disappear. I can get close but not to where I can only hear them and not feel them. I am always fast in your tunes and this is no exception. I tried to concentrate on what could potentially need improvement but I was so ecstatic over what it didn’t do wrong. Let me explain. I ran out of money and was able to buy the car but not buy the parts necessary to load the tune. I took a brake from testing cars and when I came back with the cash I forgot to load the tune. Apparently I bought it Homologation so I didn’t notice the error. Two days latter and after two 20 lap sets (wasn’t posting that review without being absolutely certain) I was preparing to let the world know that the best I could get was 1:39.325 and, sorry my friend, it wasn’t very good at all. As a matter of fact it was worse than stock! Fortunately when I went to go get the tune name for the post I noticed the error. I dodged a bullet with that one and was off to my happy place in your excellent tune running clean and fast on lap 3. Is it worth still tuning in FM7? ABSOLUTELY! HLR Moss tuned at least two seconds over auto tuned.

Crash

2 Likes

I d like to thank Holty for running my car and achieving a second faster than me. I believe he got a 1.36.6xx. He gave me some great advice on what should be improved.

Changed my mind.

Will run cars that haven’t been ran yet first (with emphasis on tuners I don’t know well), then slowest laps after.

Will start back up maybe Friday to see what’s left to be run. Only have time today (I think) to get some single player (and credits) further along.

Did not have time to get this tune “cleaned up”, thus, shared it “as-is”. Tune under my GT, Name=HistoricRdRacing, Desc=RA-HLC

Hope you’ll enjoy the tune! Good luck with the runs. And, best of luck to all the Tuners & Racers.

PRKid

Gave a few laps with each of the 70’ Camaros posted by RPM Swerve and I M0T0 I

Results:
RPM Serve’s : 01:36.764 (On the LB #41)
I M0T0 I’s : 01:36.829 (In my activity feed if needed)

I’m a little bit of a fish out of water when it comes to being able to pick apart a tune in the technical aspects as I’ve never gotten into tuning myself but here goes the small amount of feedback I can provide.

In comparison, that even though I was slightly slower I found M0T0’s tune to have a bit more turn in which made it feel easier to drive consistently.I noticed the turn in aspects of the car the most on the last corner where I found it a lot easier to take at high speeds. I did have a dirtied .788, so both tunes came very close time wise and overall enjoyed both of them.

2 Likes

Thanks. Added them to the master spreadsheet. Keep them coming.
Crash

Thanks for running my car Crash and for your kind words. I tried 4 different builds before settling on this one. Didn’t spend too long tuning it though. I thought my normal base settings felt OK so any tinkering was likely to make it worse LOL.

1 Like

I’ve ran tunes by Moss, Snowman, Moto and Foot so far.
I’ll up load all the times and feedback in one go, but they are all really solid tunes and really easy to drive.

Thanks Kev! I’m going to try running a few cars this weekend, including your Camaro. :slight_smile:

Tune is up for the 69 Pontiac Trans Am: “69TA H Lt1” hope it drives well for any who try it. I enjoy all feedback so don’t hold back if there is something you thought was amiss about the tune!

For shifting, it would be easier to explain sections as “always shift here” was not always optimal… I found shifting late beneficial so around 6k rpms. Stay in 4th for the home straight, down to 3rd up the hill, 4th after you let off at the top of the hill all the way down the hill, 3rd to 4th along the mini straight, 2nd for the double right hander, 5th down the main straight, 2nd to 4th across the finish line.

Try not to shift as you go up hill (loss of momentum) but not always possible (3 to 4 on mini straight & 4 to 5 main straight).

If you find faster shifting strategies please inform us all as I know I would like to go faster!

Thanks & good luck to all who try out any of the comps tunes! Now that my car is out of the way I can try some of the other tunes… tomorrow.

That sounds about right for my 69 Firebird as well. With mine I never needed 5th even when running faster end speeds while I was experimenting with less downforce (got close but never hit the limiter). I’d add that I might have been more 6.1 to 6.2k at times and I would not be surprised to see someone run really fast using only 3 & 4. I’m curious to see if my 4th down the main straight down to 3rd for the left then down again to 2nd to set the right and pull up the hill works for yours as well.

I’m especially looking forward to driving this one.
Crash

For warm up I went for a 20 lab PB quest in your Firebird before testing a few more entries. I still wasn’t in the groove but consistent 1:36.3’s (sooooo… close) and I think I was fastest not using 2nd in the last chicane and pulling 3rd up the last hill. I seemed to be 1-2 mph faster crossing the line. I still find both staying in 4th and using 5th on the strait to be indistinguishable. I might have also been more 5900 than 6000 on the upshifts.

Crash

When in the final chicane I was nearly rev banging 2nd and 3rd so I didn’t shift uphill. I haven’t tried 3rd only through the final chicane, I have to try that.

When shifting to 5th in the back straight I was hitting 140; when staying in 4th I was only hitting 139.

Glad you like the tune!

Yeah I was 139 either way. I need to work on that double right hander. It definitely bogs at the start but hits max accel just before the top of the hill when second would be running out with no pause for the shift. I might have changed my line slightly to an earlier apex to carry a bit more speed since it didn’t turn as well nor really power out. I wish I could run my own ghost - three laps and there would be no question.

Well I am no longer the fasted 69 Firebird on the board and have been knocked out of the top 20.

We have a new confirmed leader!

The Zerone has posted a 1:34.568 in his 69 Firebird.

You are now free to run even faster in one of the other comp tunes (like my 1 lb heavier car lol). Well done. Hmm… I might need to move this one up on the list of cars to try next. Two tuners, the same car with virtually identical builds. No EXCUSES. Let the hot lapping begin!

Crash

Wait, what, really!? 1 lb? I have to download it and see what is different. I originally had a sport wt reduction with 1 rear tire width but that one felt odd and was inconsistent so I landed on this one.

Big shout out to Hillbilly TX for driving the FM special botched tune (I saved it in free play which is a no-no as it makes only partial saves fyi) for a while before mentioning something, so I changed the tune to appease him before we realized the save file error and it was magically faster despite having no relevance! Thanks T10, for effing up!

LOL I assumed Hillbilly TX was in the same one as you. Let me know if I got the wrong one. Yeah that bug got me a few times. Luckily I new exactly what I was messing with so I put it back. THEN saved it… THEN shared it… THEN Loaded it again… THEN checked everything… THEN ran a fast lap to put it on the board. I really think I have some better setups but with all the issues it wasn’t worth messing with it any more. The only thing I can be certain of is that for a few laps I was fast in the tune you can get off the LB and it is truly the one that ran that fast.

Crash

My tunes up Ford Falcon 71 phase 3 file name pb hoc rd atl. My current time is 1.35.178 pb on leaderboard.
What I learnt from tuning this is power isn’t everything a good power to weight ratio is ,ore important.

Also @the zerone congratulations on that time dam I knew when I ran it earlier it was quick but you must of had it on rails lol but FairPlay great tune and impressive time.

My times from cars I’ve ran so far sorry if I didn’t get to your car but ran out of time. All times were set within 10 laps.

Coastkey: 70 corvette 1.27.410
Snowmansdad1: 67 stingray 1.36.301
Rosny: 72 falcon xa gt 1.36.254
Sk15kev: 69 Camaro ss 1.36.065
The zerone: 69 firebird ta 1.35.486
Crash220: 69 firebird ta 1.36.229
RPM swerve: 70 camaro 1.35.962
Oat Gemini: 71 javelin 1.36.090
Holty: 71 falcon 1.35.178

Good luck everyone and I shall be keeping a eye on progress to hopefully see the times get a lot closer.
Holty.

1 Like

Dear Lord, Holty! Fantastic times man!