Headset not working on subordinate account

I’m not sure where to go with this issue, whether or not it’s an Xbox, Microsoft or another issue, but I’m reaching out to anyone who might know of a solution or can point me in the right direction.

The situation is I have an Xbox Series X and my son-in-law (SIL) has a Series One. I have a Rig 800 blue tooth headset & mic and my SIL has a similar device. We both have trial versions of the DTS Sound Unbound app and we can communicate with each other using the headsets. No problem so far. However, my grandson has a subordinate account under his father’s control and has certain restrictions such as not being able to make purchases etc. When he logs in to his account, the headset function stops working. He has the trial version of DTS and he’s using his father’s headset. Hardware-wise, everything is the same.

When I look at “My Friends” a headset icon appears next to my grandson’s Gamertag, but only when he is not logged in. When he logs in the icon disappears and he is unable to use the headset for communication with me.

My SIL and I believe we have tried every combination of switch options on my grandson’s account, but we can’t get it to work. I have a suspicion it has something to do with the “rights” in the subordinate account, but I don’t know where to look. Has anyone else had a similar problem? My grandson is only 8yo so his parents don’t want him to have a fully functioning MS account at this stage.

I doubt this is an Xbox or Horizon problem, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Speedy G

That sounds to me like one of the settings on the accound is disabled, thus not allowing him to communicate with anyone…I can’t help with what setting it is as Family Settings is not something I’m experienced with but these pages should, hopefully, help:

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/help/family-online-safety/online-safety/manage-app-privacy-settings-xbox-one

I’d also recommend posting on the Microsoft forum:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum

Thanks Nursemorph. I appreciate your reply and will investigate the links provided.

1 Like