Forza Horizon doesn't value the player's time; many don't have any desire to play anymore

Wow… you know, if you hate the game you can just stop playing.

1 Like

To OP:

Real problem is what happens after LIVE-support ends. With garage space issue, I don’t think they necessarily have any end-game plan there.

It was said by Turn 10 community manager on this very forum, in topic you too posted just weeks ago, that there’s other plans for these forums.

Developers trying to do community managers (or liaison like we used to have) job has perhaps led to some issues? That’s really surprising, oh wait, nope it isn’t LOL

That things don’t necessarily work that well in other game genres doesn’t justify bad mechanics in any other genre and it doesn’t always work in business sense either. Whoever developed Star Wars game with grind induced micro-transactions didn’t exactly go well. Fallout 76 fiasco, well MS/Xbox subsidiary practically bought a bunch of grind mechanics, leading to cheapest ever bundle of Xbox One X at least in EU. I don’t think they made any profit from that bundle. Some personnel changes were made later on that year at Xbox sub management.

That said I really like your idea and I hope they would add support for single player championships or something, whatever to make those challenges possible.

We have ridiculous amount of exclusives, so much that many new players threshold to start grinding 10 - 20 million credits per car to get them via action house might be simply overwhelming. What comes to Forzathon points, there’s practical issue too. Forzathon shop could be expanded (we have seen this happen during special events, suggestion that started from this forum btw) but that still leaves players only with auction house option once support to LIVE-features ends and Forzathon points would also lose their value. All that grind for… ?

It looks like you are winning the thread. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This is one of the good things in Playlist, but they could expand it a bit, try new things and there’s still a matter of end-game plan.

Me just have hundreds of millions credits, almost every car (and there’s nothing I couldn’t get) more than 10k Forzathon Live points (do those sometimes just for fun), have a quite few prestiges, really still like Street Scene (though I still wish we could get more Street events).

And I still don’t like Cross Country, I do get why there are players who don’t like Street Scene, yet have some idea why some players like CC.

Did this weeks Trial… I don’t know, 20 times with different cars, winning… I think most of the races. Finally built Ford Transit Mk1 and made “Ultraboss” (another band I like) livery for it and took it to Trial for laughs, still won every race…

But I don’t like game because I don’t like CC? Nope, that’s not how it works. Now, go get lost.

2 Likes

Devs can do a great job on forums. I’ve been playing RaceRoom a bit, and there are devs posting on their forum who do a great job.

1 Like

What are you even talking about? Where did I say you had to do CC? Your list of whatever (that no one asked for) will qualify you for cars, not to mention your infinite forza funbucks you can spend in the AH. I think you just prefer to whine on the forums and that is fine by me, enjoy.

1 Like

How do people still not understand, after all this time, and it being explained so many times, that different people like different parts of the game. I like playing some parts of the game. I don’t like doing races against the AI, they are unbelievably dull, tedious and pointless. I’d rather spend that time playing the parts of the game that I enjoy. This doesn’t constitute hating the game, I just hate them keep making me play it in ways I don’t want to if I want to unlock new cars.

5 Likes

You can like all the ‘different parts’ you want, but if you find doing one race (in a game where we don’t even have long races) tedious, you just don’t like racing games.

1 Like

LOL, well given that racing games are pretty much the only type of game I play, it seems unlikely I don’t like them. I like the longer races in GT Sport a lot, and I also like practising them, when each practice run takes 20-30 minutes. But I only do that when I want to do it, what I don’t like is a game coercing me into doing a specific race at a specific time. GT Sport has a huge number of campaign races against the AI, and I find those deathly dull and tedious, I’ve hardly done any of them, which is fine, the game doesn’t require you to do any of them at all if you don’t want to. If you’re thinking “well why don’t you play GTS instead”, it has its own, different, issues to FH4. I still play it, but like FH4, it has problems that it seems the developer either doesn’t want to fix, or doesn’t know how to fix.

4 Likes

Ah, that’s not how it works, buddy.

I think there were only a couple months when the Playlist was worth playing through. In all the others it felt more like a timewall than a fun way to earn cars…

2 Likes

“It seems that many aren’t exactly happy with the inclusion of seasons, at least from what I’ve read on the forums, on Xbox Live and elsewhere, It erodes away at the freedom of choice - one could argue that not having it at all is the better choice.”

What is deplorable is that the computing power of Xbox is being sidelined for server processing with it comes to seasons. It should be the other way around, where the power of Xbox is being harnessed to suggest freedom of choice, especially with it comes to seasons and weather conditions. The only downside is that we won’t have too much of an online interactive environment with this approach when applied to the entire map. One approach would be to allow the user to control weather and season duration. For example, the user should be able to set either four seasons for a given duration and within that selection choose how long it should snow or rain (with intensity) or how long the days and nights should last. This to me is the basis of how to render the game truly interactive and custom friendly. Think back to FH2 but with more controls where the user has the option to enter into live interactive showdown sessions et al (they need to bring back show down races in FH5).

I really want to the gt2rs mr in the game since the amr pro Vulcan is in the game

PGR1 and 3 have aged Terribly IMO. While 2 and 4, again, IMO, have aged Beautifully and are still every bit as Awesome Now as they were when in their Prime :slight_smile:

To complete 50 % in order to get a new exclusive car you need 30 minutes or maximum 1 hour in a whole week. And often they get locked only behind ONE SINGLE championship. 1… which takes 10 - 15 minutes at most. Once a week and you don’t have to do it ever again. Everything else on the playlist can be skipped. If you have a busy life you should focus on thatm, not on collecting all cars in a video game. That’s a pretty healthy opinion.

Now imagine if they got rid of the festival playlist and put every new vehicle into the autoshow. For example a Napier Railton may cost up to 20 million credits. Think about how much more it would take you to grind for 20 million credits then just finishing a seasonal championship or doing a few tasks from the playlist?

The Crew 2 has done that. They’ve added a nice and juicy Ford Mustang (2020) and the Koenigsegg Jesko into the regular shop. You can get these whenever you want … BUT … if you want to, you have to grind (or pay real money). So I went on grinding races because I wanted to try it out so badly. This took me more than 2 hours and it would take me thrice the time for the Koenigsegg. And you think I’ve done stuff that I wanted to do and just got the car handed over? No, I repeated one single race, again and again for the whole time, because this race was told to be very remunerative. At the end I felt more exhausted than completing any entire Forza festival playlist at once.

Sure, in the Forza championships and playlist tasks you get directed to hop into specific cars and do that one specific race. But I don’t see the problem with that. Thanks to these, I’ve driven cars that I would have never dared to touch before. E. g. I used to make fun of the Lancia Stratos Stradale and hated it. Until I kinda had to drive it in a few seasonal races and I realised how much I love its handling and preformance and that I would choose to drive this car again whenever I had the opportunity.

We could also go back to the old Forza Horizon schedule of releasing a DLC car pack every month. Which is pretty boring and outmoded. Dunno, you guys are really that keen on spending real money … ? I dunno sounds odd to me.

The thing about the seasons, I agree that if you play in a lobby with your buddies, you should be able to choose the desired time of the year. But beside that I’m ok with it.

4 Likes

Really well said, thumbs up :slight_smile:

I continue to “labor” on this, but almost all of my friends have quit this game.
They are now happily playing GT Sport, Dirt Rally and Animal Crossing. They were all playing FH3 the whole time.

The reason they left this game is simple. Festival Playlist. And the ensuing excessive locking of cars and game design that forces you to play the way PG intended.
I and they were both fans of Forza and loved the racing game. But no one loves the Festival Playlist.
Horizon without them is boring. Of all the dead festivals, I am the only one who continues to labor.

Perhaps they will introduce a similar system for FM8 and FH5.
Will there be any of my friends left who continue to play Forza at that time?
I can’t help but be uneasy about the future of the series we loved.

4 Likes

GT Sport has its own really annoying issues, though, for example:

• Can’t set real off track/wet grip reduction in arcade time trials (this makes a wet track drive nothing like it does in an actual race)
  • Can’t set tyre wear multipliers >10x in custom races, which means for many FIA races, you can’t practice them using a custom race
  • Can’t start a lobby race with just you in it, so that fails as a workaround for the previous problem
  • The penalty / SR system is one failure after another, which means that driving standards are really not that great
  • Collision physics that make cars get unrealistically propelled after small collisions, making a small tap seem like a huge ram
  • An FIA points system that causes people to deliberately lower their driver rating to score more points, as you’re always better off finishing higher up in a lower rated lobby
  • Poor BOP for N classes that means the vast majority of cars are not competitive on any track
  • Lobby-related bugs such as the pit bug where a player will be stuck spinning in the pits, or the auto-drive bug where you get stuck in auto-drive when the race starts. Both leave the player no option but to leave the lobby, and it can be a long wait to find another suitable lobby where the host starts qualifying
  • Server issues causing disconnects for online races, sometimes entire lobbies get disconnected
  • Bugs related to ghosting when cars serve penalties, where the car is unghosted for a tiny fraction of a second, giving a penalty to another car if their car overlaps the ghosted car

I’m sure I’d come up with more if I spent longer thinking about it. Basically, if you play GTS for long enough, these little problems that never get fixed become pretty annoying. At the same time, it’s a great game, I could also make a long list of positives about it, and I feel it’s the only real competition for FH4. All other racing games feel very “bare bones” when you’re accustomed to the level of activity in FH4 and GTS.

1 Like

At this stage in the games life, everyone (not all) has basically completed it. A new FH will be coming out soon if release times carry on the same way as usual and people will once again be playing en mass.

I am always amused that others claim to talk for the many when in fact they don’t. I know of plenty of players who do like the Festival list so that would counter your claim no one does.

Having to do some taks to unlock a car is not that hard and i believe only the laziest and most selfish players would demand they get cars for free.

Ironically none of these people complained about having to do barn finds…

If people don’t want to play then that’s their perogative, but coming onto the forums to whinge about it constantly is becoming a bit of a joke.

I commend you for your desire to keep playing, as for others, they were never going to be long term players by the looks of it anyway and if they want to expand their game time playing other games then good on them.

3 Likes

I hope we get longer between games. I’m really looking forward to when the last new car has arrived, and we can spend all our time playing the game instead of doing chores. Very few people are anywhere near completing the game. Many rivals leaderboards only have around 1000 entries, so very few people can have set a time for every leaderboard, never mind setting the absolute best time they can manage, which takes a lot longer. I feel like it would take me many years after the last new car has arrived to truly complete the game. It must have taken a massive amount of work to create the environments in FH4, it seems like a tragic waste to me to discard it all after just 2 years, when hardly anyone has had time to fully master the game. I’d rate my mastery of FH4 as being about 10-20%. Moving on to playing FH5, starting again at 0% mastery, would just feel silly.

1 Like

@nb3254,
I don’t think it’s the playlist issue. The main issue to me is that the car balance and online racing experience is trash and the devs are hiding their heads in sand:

B class racing : Cobra Daytona all the way
A class racing: previously Bone Shaker, now the Alfa TZ2 and Nova FE trounce everything else
S1 class: Alfa 33S all the way

People asked to remove freeroam rush, it took PG months to remove it from ranked and only from the road racing…sigh. Then came the Eliminator, I hoped they’d keep that as the freeroam rush mode and remove it from all other online racing modes = nope. And you guessed it - pushing others off the road online is still viable and a thing,.
It’s like PG can’t make one single mode work properly and instead are just patching small things to call it ‘that should be good enough’ instead of a proper solution.

The only usable online game mode is the Drift Adventure, that’s it. But even there, there are too many broken cars that defy the laws of physics like the old Mini, Fiat Abarth500 Essesse or the Willys that are simply overpowered because of their short wheelbase and how the game engine handles the physics. The classic drift cars like the M3 E30/E36, 200SX, Silvia or the AE86 can’t hold a candle to those broken lolcars in online adventure.

That said, the are some hard ‘playwall’ cars like the Mercury Cougar, I almost smashed my controller a few times while having to grind it and mind you, I’m not the worst player of the bunch. It’s just the RNG element that shouldn’t have place in a racing game.

Not because they defy the laws of physics, but because the chance you see such purpose built variants of such cars in the real life is extremely unlikely… (the practicality of such modifications is questionable)

Hope you know people buying cars from black market have high chances for permanent ban of profile AND devices.

FH is not a simple race game, it is intended with some progress, some kind of levels management. This said, I wish you the best concerning pushing up the principle of having all cars from beginning.

Btw, FH5 will be certainly worse on this aspect, if FH4 trend confirms, it could as well be a big Eliminator,(random dropped cars/tunes) , playground games, clothes, stuff, dances and … that’s it. May be a creator mode to share some private races. So, not only we won’t have all cars at the beginning but it could end that only luck will allow someone to drive what he expects.

AS of now, for me, loosing several hundreds hours of game progress for a simple sync failed is more critical than having to do few stunts/solo races to get some cars.

5 Likes