FEELING OF SPEED

Okay, let’s do a little fun experiment here, shall we?

Let’s keep the discussion limited to the FH games for now, and not real life - In Horizon 1, 2 and all the FM games, you can see a visible sense of speed increasing as your car accelerates, irrespective of whether you have motion effects on or not, irrespective of whether your TV can double the frames from 30-60 through frame interpolation.

In Horizon 3, you only see the “world accelerating” up until a certain speed; i.e. between 200 kph and 300+ kph, there’s virtually no difference. I prefer my driving games to be free of effects, but the least they can do is at least make objects (relative to their size) go by you faster as you drive faster right? Doesn’t matter if your driving in a packed street at 160+ kph or the open highway… it looks and feels SLOW which wasn’t the case in previous Horizons.

The sense of speed in Horizon 3 reminds me of a game on the PS1 called Porsche Challenge. It did a lot of things right at the time but had a horrendous sense of speed - virtually no difference at all between 80 kph and 200+ kph!

I actually agree with the OP. I have been recently not wanting to play because it just doesn’t seem “real” enough to me. Like I could be going 200mph and not care. like eh, no biggie. Or fly off the road thinking… whatever! Not sure why, but his thought could be one of the reasons.

I randomly went back to playing forza 6 and was shocked. I took one of my favorite cars around SPA just for a quick spin to see the difference in feel between the games, and it I was literally shocked. I was blasting around the course and I actually started feeling a little “anxiety / nervousness” while playing. Felt, much more exciting. Then after 1 race, I immediately threw in horizon 2. It had less of that, but it was still there… the excitement of going fast. I was in a race and my mental mindset was completely different form horizon 3, and this was literally 20 mins after playing H3. I started thinking… “if I hit that tree it’s not going to be good”, or “AHHH, i’m going in to fast for that corner.”… Which made me then go back after a few minutes of playing horizon 2 and really started thinking about horizon 3… I just can’t put my finger on it, but something is “off”.

Horizon 3 I drive around like a lunatic, as if nothing matters, and in reality it makes me like the game A LOT less. I wish I could get that exhilaration that came from the other games. A feeling of excitement. In Forza 6, IMO, you don’t even need a fast car to feel that… and that’s my point… Like others have said, you have to be going over 200mph to get excitement out of this game. If so, what’s the point of every other car in the game? I actually enjoy driving stock cars of all classes. Seeing how I can do w/ the bare bones setup etc… but in horizon 3 it’s jut plain boring. I wish I could just drop the game, but I’ve purchased the car packs, and the expansion packs etc… so I guess i’ll just cross my fingers and hope for some kind of update like they did in horizon 1. With the updated forced feedback near the end of the game’s life.

3 Likes

I cockpit view you definitely see and experience the slight lurch forward as you shift gears so there may be an issue the feature not being employed intentionally or a genuine bug.

Does Arcade mean we have to not have driving sensations?
And it’s not that arcade, it’s an open-world spin-off that’s a bit too off regarding what it entices

1 Like

It has been already evoked, FH3 seems to have filled all the checks on paper (big map, tons of cars, plenty of races), but lacks about real feelings (the map is in fact really empty, most cars are soul-less with no individual sounds or handlings, we are more enticed to do Forzathons, head2head random destination races and Anna’s recommendations rather than enjoying proper driving experiences)

The games really feels like sterilised from many points of view. It’s like an hopital it has everything to live in and be happy about it (to heal, to sleep, to eat), but no one could really live there forever.

Like Krusty Jugglerz said, the game seems too forgiving, (even though AI is a major nuisance, advice set it to Pro and not Unbeatable!) and yes we go often off-road because the maps seems to empty and plain to avoid us rolling at 200kph through a forest. And talking about trees they really seem like basically just put there using a forest paint brush (a tool in world creation). Their location is so random except for some spots, but BM managed it better overall though.

1 Like

Literally neither of the above posts make any sense to me. “No individual sounds or handling.”

What? Sounds, maybe (and barely true as it stands), but handling? Whatever you are drinking, share it, and then change the subject

And having objects go by you faster as you go faster? That’s called moving… the objects don’t go by you quicker because you hit the gas button, they go by you because of where you are 5 seconds ago and where you are now…

If you have a point, make it, because you are speaking your own language right now.

Honest to god, when the game came out people talked about real issues they had with it, but now since those have been beat to death it’s obvious that people are seriously trying very hard to find that new thing to complain about. For example, the “feeling of speed” (which you somehow managed to make even less sense about) has been the same since day one, yet here is this thread now in all of it’s glory. It’s an echo chamber of people complaining. It plagues everything, and it’s unfortunate that it has come to this because it gets in the way of actual criticism and just becomes a bunch of people trying too hard to justify something called “blind judgement” and not getting over the fact that the feelings of expectations and disappointment should not get in the way of logically arguing an opinion.

2 Likes

I’ve done 200 mph in the real world in an extremely stable car that felt drama free … the game doesn’t get the in-cockpit visual of that right. It’s not the lack of vibration, it’s how fast the terrain passes by when you get close. Maybe it’s framerate or maybe it’s just wrong, but I know what 200 is supposed to look like and this ain’t it. It’s closer to reality than GTAV, but …

This!! +1000

This is exactly what I was getting at when I left my comments earlier in this thread. The world just doesn’t pass you by at a speed that’s believable or give you a reasonable immersion and sensation of speed.

Lots of games do this right, and it can feel downright dangerous (just like real life), but not Horizon 3. I’ve tried multiple views and even playing in a completely dark room with the backlight as low as possible to give it that extra immersion. But no, driving a Venom GT at close to 400 km/h barely feels like you’re hitting 180-200 km/h.

I’m sorry but are you calling this thread unimportant because the game lacks an accurate sense of speed. You feel that that is an insignificant aspect of a RACING game?

I don’t mean to sound rude, but it irks me a little when people call stuff like accurate car sounds, physics nuances or sense of speed insignificant because it is ‘just a game’. If we’re in it just for the ‘it’s a game’ aspect, then there’s no need to invest in an Xbox One and a good TV + sound system, is there? Forza always set itself apart as the innovator when it came to an authentic driving game on a console. But it looks like that may not be the case in the near future. Fingers crossed - I’d love to be proven wrong with FM7

You do realize sense of speed is one of the main reason people enjoy playing racing games and driving sims, yes? Why do we speed IRL? Is the sense of speed not satisfying? No reason why it should be any less satisfying in a game.

The developers have been getting too much slack due to a lack of real competition on the xbox one, in terms of open road racing games with convincing sounds and physics.

Anyway, you’re probably getting good mileage out of the game, which is good. I’m sticking to FM, AC and PCARS for now. They keep me nice and full and the sense of speed especially is believable and very satisfying.

2 Likes

Thank you for twisting my words, as I never said “it’s just a game”.

I said you won’t get a realistic sense of speed because it’s a game and the players are most likely sitting on a non-moving couch or chair. I also said that being totally vague and lacking in content for formulating a complaint you expect anyone in the development seat to take seriously is not going to give you brownie points.

Like I said, “sense of speed” is something totally subjective, and if you think it isn’t, then present an argument why. If you are suggesting the reason why is because there isn’t enough objects flying past you in your peripherals, that’s something, but it’s still not the most supportable thing out there as you can blast through Byron bay at 200mph and see all of the buildings and peds fly past you. Comparing that to a highway drive in the flattest, most empty parts of the map is not giving the game full credit as that is simply how that part of the map was designed.

So your complaint is that there isn’t enough… small objects?

And no, I totally understand why a sense of speed is important. My criticism is that you need to have more and something less subjective to base that argument off of.

I read this thread missed it the first time and just astounded.

Master medic says: my whole rant started off responding to a person who literally said Forza Horizon 3 was a mess

Where exactly does bleak say this? He points out the sense of speed is off. What is a matter with you? Maybe we should all be like everything is freakin great. No issues at all. Will you then pick up the devils advocate position if fix some issue? Or point fault at all the fan boys?

At the original topic. I am pretty sure it was deliberate nerf to allow accessibility- most of the population only dreams of going 200 and would be scared completely out of there mind. Nor would they be able to react in time. 200mph down a road would almost be insanity.

I think basically it’s been needed by a factor of two. 200 feels like a 100. 60 feels like 30 and I think it’s deliberate to allow majority of players to be able to drive at 200+

1 Like

So did you just not look at the first page whatsoever? Bleak is neither the OP or the one I was responding to.

My initial argument was not to say that the sense of speed was unrealistic for the sake of jumping to conclusions. Bleak posted after that and gave a few good points for his side of the argument.

You can tell I wasn’t talking to Bleak because 1. He didn’t post yet and 2. I quoted the post I was responding to.

Here:

Please, if you are going to call me out for something I said 3 months ago, please have enough self respect to read the responses first rather than posting some redundant question.

There’s a saying about assumptions.

And by the way, I was saying that it was unfounded to say that the “feeling of speed is bad” because it is (according to the previous responses) subjective from player to player, and if you were to reach a conclusion that this is something they need to improve upon you should back that up with something more tangible than your feelings.

Personally I think the roads lack barriers so the players don’t get that same feeling of anxiety when you squeal through the rainforest on a winding road because that fear of running into them is not there. Add in some barriers (or make the roads tighter) should bring that feeling back, but I wouldn’t call it a “feeling of speed”. The reason for this is that I think the motion effects were ported over from the previous games (why fix what’s not broken) but it is a fact that every road is more “un-bordered” in this iteration of the Horizon game.

Please stop boring us with your technical analysis.

The game feels slow. Period. The game did not feel this slow in Horizon 2 and 1, both of which had an equal share of tight roads and more open ones.

It’s a racing game - it should not feel slow at 150+ or 200+ MPH. It certainly doesn’t feel this slow IRL going at those speeds whether you’re tearing down a tight street or flooring it on the freeway. Other games do not feel this slow, certainly not FM6 or 5 (again tight and narrow circuits as well as wider, more open ones).

End of debate. Good day.

2 Likes

Awesome job strong-arming your point and essentially saying “screw your actually existing argument, you are wrong because I say so.”

Typical, this is coming from the same guy that tried to side-step replying to me directly in a different thread and tried to rouse a hate train (and failed miserably) to argue for him. Still can’t fight your own battles without trying to insult me? You should know by now that that doesn’t end well for you. Grow a backbone, especially when considering all you have said so far comes to “the feeling of speed is slow because the feeling of speed is slower than it should be.”

Go ahead, insult me all you want, like a few of you are trying to. I’m saying it how it is. If I’m boring you with my attempt at an honest argument, why even reply? Putting that petty nonsense out on the thread doesn’t make you right. It just means that you put that there because you couldn’t come up with anything better to say.

The replies from other people have already proven my point. Feeling of speed is subjective.

And while that’s subjective in itself that’s more direct evidence than anything you have said to back yourself. Many of you have said that the other games did the feeling of speed better, but none have said what the older games actually did that made it better. So yeah, unless we can figure out what that is, and acknowledge why another bunch of people don’t share your opinion and feel the opposite, the answer will be that it’s “subjective”.

7 Likes

Yeah, I really don’t have anything better to say because already said what needed to be said.

You’re hilarious BTW - keep it coming!

I don’t imagine you have much of a life outside these forums Captain Butthurt? Well, alright then.

That’s not how you debate or have a discussion. It’s simply insults and says much more about you than you realize. Sorry to have to point this out to you in a public setting.

Did you consider any of the opinions that contradict your own?

8 Likes

Thank you for pointing this out to me “in a public setting”. Did you read any of the previous posts? My response was to a previous thread posted by the same guy, and;

A. It doesn’t concern you

B. The tone I used was appropriate given the previous response

C. I don’t really feel the need to explain myself to you any further

D. Have a good day now!

I would agree with the counter arguments. I hadn’t really noticed a change at all between FH2 and FH3. FH1 is a different story since the engine used for the game was probably based off of FM4. once I played FM5, each game after FM6 FH2 and FH3 felt the same consistently. And let’s be real if you seriously came for that specific reason why bother playing it? Gran tourismo is the same as well if not worst, expecting a arcade to get close to realism as possible is ridiculous and personally the game feels right to me. The excitement should be coming from having .05 second finishes with other people not driving down a street at 50mph. This thread just isn’t worth it or justifiable.

2 Likes

Hoping for a realistic representation of speed in a driving game … not justifiable? Is that a joke? Surely you jest.

4 Likes

No, it’s a blatant nitpick. There’s stuff that’s on more solid ground you can debate over. Like the accuracy of interiors, the amount of cars, how balanced a certain thing is… but the “feeling of speed”? That’s not even a calculable thing you can prove and the arguments people are bringing up are so scattered and incoherent that it’s almost sad.

Plain and simply, you are never going to get a realistic “feeling of speed” in a video game because it’s a video game, and in real life one’s personal experience with inertia matters very little to the rest of the world. Plain and simply, nobody is going to feel the same way, and for the most part, nobody cares.

In all of my years watching people get their expectations unrealistically high for things and then being disappointed, and then using that disappointment to justify complaints about the smallest, most out of place things, this forum is a case in point by miles. Expectations are a dangerous thing, and the fatal mistake is easily made. When judgement is rendered solely on the result of those expectations, it in turn leads to a propensity for jumping to conclusions, and from that point it’s a rapid descent into ignorance.

I could call this forum out for a lot of things but in a year’s time you guys will wonder every game why the developers didn’t listen to you last year… the reason simply being that complaints about the game are spread so thin that it breaches the line of incoherence.

In other terms, I highly doubt you will see any developer in their right mind (whether it be Bethesda or Telltale) come back with the next product saying “hey, we fixed that vaguely defined thing like 13 people complained about”.

“Vaguely defined” is the key thing here. There’s a lot of people wanting to agree with a complaint but not a lot of definable reasons why. I’ve seen early access games on steam get roasted into oblivion by people with less than an hour of playtime simply bouncing off of the complaints of one another, but all of them eventually forgetting what they wanted to complain about in the first place and simply adding on “+1” to whatever tangible negative remark could be said. Issues become impossible to fix when people can’t actually define what’s wrong.

4 Likes

I don’t think the sense of speed is limited to cockpit view. It feels the same to me regardless what camera. But I agree the sense of speed is off… I don’t notice it until I look for it because I’m never looking at my speedomter. As a real test though go to surfers paradise with traffic off and drive 60 on the ocean drive, turn the camera 90 degrees so your looking at the side of your car. Now watch the buildings go by. Tell me that’s 60MPH.

And oddly enough anywhere you drive the difference between 100-150 is almost unnoticeable

Personally I’m not complaining too much because I find it hard to avoid anything and take turns at 200MPH as it is. If it was too much faster maybe it would seem too crazy.

There should be a sweet spot where a sense of speed is more realistic and the game is still playable at high speeds.

I’m sure there are a few lines of code they could play with to alter the speed simple enough. Just like when you lag out you come to a crawl.

But I want say something else. In real life a good deal of the sense of speed comes from objects passing by our peripheral vision. We don’t have that in a game.