Differential question

Hi folks,

If I upgrade to a race differential, and set both Acceleration and Deceleration to 0%, would this be the same as not having a race differential at all? OR, although both values are set to 0%, is there still a notable handling difference to that of a stock differential on a given car?

Thanks,
Dave

To be honest, I don’t know.

By adding the race diff you do add weight to the car, so trying to replicate not having a diff wouldn’t make sense to me. Try it without the diff and then try it with the diff and the 0 / 0 settings and see?

Race diff does not add weight

Front engine rear wheel drive a good starting point is 60 accel and 20 decel

Setting differential to 0/0 Acc/Dec would make it “open” differential where thee power of going to wheels takes the path of least resistance, which essentially would make RWD and FWD to one wheel drive. that 1 wheel would be always the one which has least resistance, and ends up causing “one tire fire” issues to cars with any power in them.
100/100 acc/dec differential locks the axel completely together, which will resist turning, and if 1 tire on that axel loses grip, both will lose all grip at the same time, which specially in RWD cars might cause huge understeer and oversteer issues.

Most cars in game have some form of limited slip differential in them on default. and that seems to be vasying in 30-70 Acc and 0-30 Dec.
Most older cars have open differential, and they have more or less trouble with one tire fire.

Some cars actaully have pretty good default differential and the differential upgrade is not really necessary upgrade, but most of the time you want to have some adjutsments done to the diff just to get the car handling more like you want it to handle.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but, what the actual f*** was the point in asking this question?

@Cervy, he’s just trying to learn.

@OP, as mentioned already,

0% Accel/Decel = open differential. Race differential just allows you to adjust the settings; physics wise I assume race differential works same way as in stock differential in FM.

Stock differential, if it has values, will certainly behave differently than 0%.

There are 2 aspects to differentials = when they engage/disengage & how fast they engage/disengage. FM seems to have when+how fast rolled into one % number.

Not going into the details, too much details.