Deals With Gold: FM5 discount in June

sounds like an about-face to me.

2 Likes

It is exactly an about face, they were at the start saying it is “One” it wouldn’t function without a Kinect, then they made it work without it connected and now they are not bundling it,

Developers (Excluding Microsoft owned ones) now have a difficult decision, do they spend time and money developing Kinect features that potentially wont be used, we will see the Kinect head into the abyss like Kinect 1 did, even the Developers like Rare are annoyed at this decision as not their market has been potentially cut !

Its a good thing for the console getting it out there, not so good for the early adopters and the Developers as the Kinect will be used less and less

1 Like

ACTUALLY … Phis Harrison is still with Microsoft, he is Corporate Vice President of Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft, the person who you are thinking of is actually Don Mattrick that left the company before the Launch of One, Phil Harrison was just going along with Microsoft “Selling plan” just like everyone else

1 Like

Yeah - that is what I was referring to. Thanks!

1 Like

There is no about-face on Kinect. It is simply marketing strategy, pure and simple. Just like with Xbox 360, the Arcade and “slim” versions, with varying sizes of hard drives (except Arcade, of course, which didn’t have one). Haven’t any of you noticed that in some regions the original consoles with Kinect came with a free copy of Forza Motorsport 5 (or other choices)?

I would have gladly purchased my system without kinect. I bought mine on day 1 and the kinect is still in the box, where it will remain. I have absolutely no use for it.

1 Like

You would be surprised. I never thought I would really use Kinect much, but now it’s almost all that I use when I am on the Home screen with no one in the party. It really is so much nicer than using the controller because the controller system is a bit clunky feeling. It is very noticeable that Kinect was implemented into the design. I love it and have no regrets of purchasing an Xbox One Kinect.

Mine sits on top of the TV, with it’s $20 clamp and cover kit. I’ve gotten more use out of the cover than the kinect itself.

It hasn’t been turned on in months. Probably not since January. Don’t think I’ve used it for more than an hour total since day one. Annoys the heck out of me waving my hands around, and talking to a machine.

Now, if they ever come up with a holodeck peripheral, that is something I’ll use.

1 Like

turned on my 360 today to grab dust for free since tomorrow is the last day. on the front page it had and xbox 1 “now starting at 399” so evidently they aren’t going to make people wait. they should go ahead and do the discount for fm5 too. maybe some people would have enough more time with the game they’ll spend what they save on dlc before they move on to another game. if you’ve waited this long to get fm5 racing is probably not you favorite game type and you are going to move to another genre when it comes out. the more time for people to buy the dlc before other games come out the better from the pencil pusher opinion in me.

I’m glad to see MS is listening to its consumers. Players wanted to buy the X1 without the kinect from the start. Also games with gold is something i missed from my 360. Happy to see it coming over.

Glad to see MS is responding. Personally I’ve never used my Kinnect since Day One, and I would have easily bought a console-only bundle over buying a bundle with the Kinnect included. That having been said, I reckon the price for the console-only bundle is still a bit high. £325 seems to be to be a better price, although by the time retailers get a few offers rolling you’ll probably be able to get an Xbox One for this price.

Regarding the Games on Gold, thumbs up MS! Good to see the offer coming to Xbox One (although I’ve already paid for Halo: SA, and don’t have much interest in the other game).

1 Like

Ahhh. You are right indeed. I stand corrected.

(That will teach me to try going from memory on things I didn’t pay much attention to in the first place. XD)

Thanks for clearing that up.

1 Like

Ive done the same so I always google now haha, one thing that puzzles me is Microsoft are now saying now we are DisKinecting “We can free up some of that 10% processing power that is reserved for Kinect and Multi Processing”

Does this mean were going to have a PC style approach where some games will need Kinect unplugged to be able to play due to using that extra processing, or is Microsoft going to unlock it as a standard and the Kinect/Processing uses less …

I hope the discount includes the Car Pass as well and not just the game.
I’d really like to get the Car Pass but I’m not going to pay $50 for it.

1 Like

SirLugash: The announcement of offers is Xbox LIVE, not Turn 10. Don’t over-think it.

Well Microsoft runs Xbox Live and also publishes Turn 10 games, so is there really a difference?
Also what’s wrong with me wanting the Car Pass to go on sale?

1 Like

Have you noticed Xbox One with Kinect is still being marketed? Someone here said “decoupled” and everyone has grabbed onto that phrase like Xbox LIVE has done away with Kinect.

Not so, they’ve just offered a console without Kinect, IN ADDITION to the Xbox One with Kinect.

Get the facts straight.

Yes it is still being marketed with a console, just like they do with the 360 sell both SKU’s i’m not saying they have “done away” with it.

what I am saying is and its an observation more than a statement, that the developers aint happy about itwith comments on Twitter like :

More can be seen Here along with other places with a quick Google search

Why would a stand alone dev (not one linked to MS) pump money and time into making features that wont reap the reward now that Kinect is an option not mandatory like it was sold to devs a year ago, let alone make games based around it

1 Like

Because even a mandatory Kinect as it was until now was no guarantee that Xbox One users would use it.
I heard that a lot of people actually sold their Kinect because they didn’t want it (even though I wonder who bought them…).
Those who are interested in Kinect games will have or get a Kinect anyways.
And if there actually comes out a core game that runs and plays well and maybe even gets great reviews, will get those interested in it to buy a Kinect seperately.

And, because of The Cloud, you don’t need massive “local” storage when most of the game resides in the ether. FM5 is around 34 GB locally, for instance.