Cockpit steering and adjustable view

Hey all, is it only me who likes realism and likes to play from the cockpit whenever feeling the need to just cruise around?
This is forza community but just going to use Project Cars 3 as a reference where they made the cockpit steering turn more than just 90 degrees each side and driving from cockpit view is awesome and i wish Turn 10 can come with this and the ability to adjust your cockpit camera view height, FOV seat position etc. anyone agree?

[Staff Edit - topic closed; vote here for seat position. This topic reached 146 votes. - T10MM]

10 Likes

Agreed.

The current camera options arenā€™t great. Cockpit generally has a good camera position, but the mismatched wheel/driver animations are distracting and take away from immersion. Driver view does away with the wheel/driver, but the camera is generally too far forward and uses a narrower FOV, so you lose the wing mirrors, the rear view mirror, the gauge cluster, and a good amount of peripheral vision. Thereā€™s also a ton of graphical bugs in Driver, such as the Alpine A110ā€™s windshield clipping into the camera and the '77 Aston Martin V8 Vantage just not having a floor.

So:

Cockpit view with an option to disable wheel/driver models would be enough for me. Adjustable camera position would be nice, but not strictly necessary. If we do get an option to adjust the camera position, it needs to be saved per car, alongside the per-car FFB strength and wheel rotation settings.

9 Likes

At least someone agrees. I hope the devs are able to see this and maybe implement it in the next forza. It is definitely not a good look especially having formula drift cars with just 90 degree each turn cockpit steering angle. Cockpit view should be able to be adjusted to whatever FOV, height and seat position, something all car games should have worse a big open world title like Forza Horizon. It has too much cool features to not have these small ones especially the steering turning angle. Does the devs check these here or check these posts? Iā€™m kinda new to the community but been with forza since 2015.

2 Likes

Agreed, weā€™ve been asking for this feature a whole decade. Will see if T10 is ā€œlisteningā€ to the community this time.

2 Likes

As a sim rig owner who loves playing Forza, I really hope the devs spend a little more time catering to us. Things like FOV, seat adjustments, triple/ultrawide screen support and better force feedback are important features that are sorely missing from 7.

6 Likes

One of the previous FM games had that (FM4, I think), and I was really surprised when it didnā€™t carry over to later games.

After the FFB overhaul I feel FM7 has pretty solid FFB. On par with Assetto Corsa, and noticeably better than anything else Iā€™ve played. It did take about four hours of tinkering with both in-game and on-wheel settings to get it where I was happy with it, so I do wonder how much of the difference of opinion on the FFB quality is differences in hardware/software/settings (and how they all interact) and how much is just personal opinion. Maybe I just got really lucky and all my variables work well together.

2 Likes

I think realistic cockpit steering with arm movement for more than 180 degree has been requested since FM4 and since GT Sport did that way better we really want that.

2 Likes

As long as they keep making games that tailor to arcade racers that use the chase camera, you will not get this feature. Like previously mentioned, it has been a request since FM4. FH4 added a FOV adjustment, but itā€™s basically useless. Nothing compares to Assetto Corsa when it comes to cockpit view adjustability.

2 Likes

Like others here are saying, realistic wheel rotation has been requested since Forza 4. It didnā€™t bug me much back then (especially considering I suck at drifting), but it has become harder and harder to accept this very uncanny part of the realism. I do think there is hope though. We asked for years for night racing and weather as well, and we received it after a while. Considering how much work they are putting into Forza 8, I think me might finally see a result.

FOV adjustment would be great. I believe default FOV for most Forza games is 42 degrees or something quite low. Of course it would be a challenge to make this a console feature considering a bigger FOV eats performance, and we all no that Turn 10 has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to perfomance drops and anything but full resolution. Best solution might just be to make the default FOV big enough, like 70 or something.

1 Like

I think this mistery of cockpit steering wheel rotating plus minus 90 is connected to long gone Microsoft 180 degrees steering wheel. I owned one and spent a lot of time playing Forza 2 and PGR 4 with it.
Cost me 150$ which is a lot considering 900 degrees DFGT had the same price tag.

Aside from the visuals, the cockpit view is quite poorly done, IMO. The readings and dials donā€™t work correctly, you donā€™t have any option to tinker with things like DRS, KERS or any other stuff like headlights and so on and worst part still: the steering wheel moves like a toy carā€™s, e.g. 90Ā° left or right. Thatā€™s just silly and ruins the immersion 100%.

Why canā€™t the team have proper steering wheel and gear shifting animations for each car? Hope theyā€™re reading this. Not particularly excited for Forza on SX.

1 Like

YES, please !

1 Like

nah, the FFB in AC is so much above and beyond the latest iteration in FM7. I really hope they focus on it more in this new game.

Yes. Itā€™s imperative that we have a field-of-view calculator/slider for those of us that want to drive with cockpit view. All the PC sims have this feature and itā€™s pretty much a requirement for me. I hope we get it.

1 Like

+1 proper cockpit view adjustment system, including:

• FOV in degrees horizontal or vertical.
  • Seat position, forward/back, up/down.
  • Angle/horizon line position.
  • Wheel & hands on/off.
  • On Xbox as well as PC.
  • Adjustments saved per-car.

If perfect game performance is a concern and would otherwise prevent these adjustments, please just put it behind a warning or a ā€˜beta/simulation toolsā€™ add-on or something, wheel/rig users would probably accept some performance risk/impact for proper perspective and immersion.

5 Likes

I have just a game franchise series to quote for the best immersive cockpit cam :
Testā€¦Driveā€¦Unlimited (1&2)

+1

FoV settings is a must-have nowadays. Seat adjustment is important too for a game that calls itself a sim :slight_smile:

Iā€™d like to see the option for head turning towards corners as well.

5 Likes

Adjustable camera position, and FOV would go a long way with Forza Motorsportā€™s immersion. All too often I am flabbergasted at the camera placement in FM7, especially when I choose the view that hides the steering wheel.

A couple of bad examples of terrible camera placement can be fount with the Ford Crown Vic and the Formula Ford. In the Ford Crown Victoria, the camera seems to be mounted to the ceiling of the car. In the Formula Ford, the camera doesnā€™t move, the steering wheel disappears.

If I were able to position the camera where I wanted it, and then set the FOV lower, Id end up with something that would drastically change the look and feel of FM7. But those options werenā€™t given to us.

I hope camera placement and FOV adjustability options are present in the upcoming reboot. Both are great ways to heighten immersion. As is ultra wide screen and multi-monitor support.

3 Likes

the amount of rotation itself needs to be on a per car basis, cause a '57 chevy does not have the same amount of turns lock to lock as a a modern GT3 race car.

3 Likes

I addition to change the FOV and seating position a corresponding calculator would be appreciated

1 Like