Braking line hard to see

Is it just me or do other people think the braking line isn’t red enough and hard to see during day races?

8 Likes

Yes, it is less distinct than in FH4.

1 Like

The breaking line is the same as FH4 to me at least. The issue I have is you literally can’t see it when your behind other cars and there is smoke everywhere. If your in first place no problem. If your not then boy are u disadvantaged.

3 Likes

yeah - i suggest just have “show braking line only” - then if you can see anything at all - it means brake!

Also - the colourblindness setting does not seem to work in race - only seems to work if you set a route on the map.

2 Likes

No it doesn’t mean that, because it can be either yellow or red. The red is paler this time and less distinct from the yellow.

2 Likes

Agree

On second thought do FH5 players even need breaking lines? I swear most drivers go full speed and smash into corners or other cars.

3 Likes

I’m not sure it’s making much difference in free roam either (can’t see much of a change whatever settings I try). It’d be really nice if it did, because my dodgy colour vision sometimes has major issues seeing any part of the driving line, depending on which car I’m driving (probably how far above road level the camera is)

It would be good if we had low/med/high settings for intensity of driving line and smoke.

1 Like

Or you can practice more so that you can brake “automatically” after knowing the track. Watch your mph when braking.

1 Like

They could turn up the intensities for sure, I felt it was also much harder to see in FH5.

I don’t use it I have spots on the tracks that I use for my brake points because they never (or rarely) change. You still have to know how each car brakes in a given corner - but I found it was easier to turn that off. I think it also gives you a better feel for the tracks and helps you learn them faster because you’re not tunnel focused on the line because that line isn’t always right, even if you can see it.

Good Luck!

1 Like

They should glow. I can’t see where I’m going most of the time, but I have learned the tracks.

I found that as well… when playing FM7 events that require all assists off, I would get used to racing without the breaking line and it does get you more in tune with the track. Also, if your apex isn’t reasonably true for the turn then the breaking line is not much help anyway. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There are over eighty courses in the game, of the four main types. Even when I was a young guy with a much better memory, I wouldn’t be able to remember the brake points and turn-in points, let alone the corner speeds, for more than a handful of them. Now it would be impossible. I live and die by the braking line.

If you’re close behind other cars it’s hard to see, of course. But worse for me, for some courses you’re racing at sunset or dawn with the sun in your face and reflecting off the track on some of the corners, and it’s near impossible to make out the line.

2 Likes

I don’t think you have to remember breaking points for every course. Turn off the breaking line and drive a bunch of laps in Rivals. Then change tracks in rivals but keep the same car. I think you’ll find that you can “see” the curve better and better and find the line to properly apex it. I’m not saying it will definitely work all the time, but it can give you a better “race sense” and help when you can’t see the breaking line. :slight_smile:

Your braking affects your racing line too. You can either fast entry and slow exit or slow entry and fast exit on corners. You can use this as advantage to overtake your rival once you know his pattern, or dodge rammers.

Example:

How to Drive the Perfect Racing Line - Fast Through Apex & Exit (driver61.com)

Lighter cars can clear corners at higher speed.

I come down on the fast exit side. If you can leave a corner with any speed advantage whatsoever over the guy in front of you, you’ll carry that advantage all the way down the straight. I don’t necessarily follow the route of the line, but I do pay attention to the colors.

3 Likes

I am amazed that people actually rely on the breaking lines. Other than the first few hours if you’re never played racing games before.

Why? It’s just like driving lines. They act as a guide. I’ll be the first to admit I use both and wouldn’t have it any other way.

1 Like

Well a computer game isn’t in true 3D so distance is hard to make out so we have braking lines. Plus gravity, and grip are wrong in the game as well.

1 Like