Anyone else had a funny no steering problem with controller?

So a friend of mine I have raced with for years had been telling me about a steering issue he’s had a few times on Forza 6 every now and again, and it has just started happening to me in the last day or so now.

On some corners, the steering all of a sudden disappears as if someone has disconnected it all together. It seems to be any turn that involves any amount of throttle on turn in, for example the last turn on Lime Rock Park or the fast kink after the tight hairpin at Hockenheim. If you let off or brake and let go of the stick and try again it comes back, but by then it’s often too late to save it.

I have no idea why this is happening either as I’ve changed nothing recently. When I checked my stats last week I had driven nearly 10,000 miles on this game (the majority of which is either tuning cars or racing online), and with this being such a severe glitch/issue I would definitely have noticed it before it started happening (first time was either Friday night or Saturday morning this weekend, but it has been really bad and happening a hell of a lot since it started).

I’ve checked my controller deadzones and they are all on the settings I changed to when I first got the game, so they’ve not moved themselves. I’m using the same pad, so no new pad. Happening with a variety of cars and setups, even tried playing around with it on test drive to see if a setting was making it more prevalent, but that didn’t make any difference (not to mention my friend and I were driving the same car with my tune on it a couple of weeks ago and it was happening to him and not me so pretty sure it’s not setup or car related anyway). I’ve checked to make sure none of my assists have randomly turned themselves on as I don’t use anything and run sim steering, everything was as it should be (friend has tried running normal and sim steering and gets the issue regardless). I’ve cleared my cache on my xbox.

I’m not driving any differently to how I was before so it’s not me either as far as I can tell, even took out a car that I did a decent rivals session in recently but before it started happening and it was now an issue where it wasn’t before (could barely get a clean lap in it was happening so often at Lime Rock Park where I had set a couple of top 50 and top 100 times in the same car last week).

I’ve just updated the firmware on my controller as there was an update available for that, but I can’t see that being the issue either as it’s been on the same firmware for quite a while (last updated over a year ago I think). Going to go and run a hot lap session and get some replay footage of it happening so I can watch the telemetry on it and report back afterwards.

Anyone else had this issue as it is annoying as hell, makes the game virtually pointless to try and race (as you could be fighting for the win and then it happens and you veer off track gifting second place the win, or even worse end up taking him out as well), and I have no idea how to fix it? I had a search on here but couldn’t find anything about it as well as googling it. Just lots of posts about steering wheels/FFB.

All help and comments appreciated.

HW

Nobody has turned on assists have they? Assisted steering does this sometimes i’ve noticed. My son will play on my account and mess with the settings, I always forget to put them back. lol

Next time it happens, save the replay. Then watch it with the telemetry on. Make sure your on the Friction/Traction screen. ( 4 green circles ) Take note of the type of turn, hard slow turns and sweepers, or faster turns. Then look and see if its losing steering in left or right turns. The front friction circles should be right at the point of turning red and the blue/yellow force bar should be fully yellow and hitting the edge of the friction circle if you are using all available grip.

I had a similar issue. It almost exclusively happened while turning left in slow to medium speed turns. When I looked at the Telemetry, the friction circles would stay green and the car felt like it lost all steering input and would push wide off the track. A good track to run and test this would be Lime Rock Full, no chicanes. Turn around and run it in reverse. Run a few laps in reverse and then view the replay. See if your hitting your grip limits or if its staying green and pushing out. If it is, then the only fix would be to change the outside deadzone on steering. Decrease it by 5 and test again. Keep doing this till the car starts feeling like the steering responce has returned.

It seems to be a game pad issue for me. I have 4 game pads and the only one I can use with the deadzones at 100 on the outside would be my Day One gamepad. All other gamepads I have to drop to 70 on the outside. This made the car way to twitchy for my liking so I stick with my Day One gamepad. Problem is, the Day One gamepad is wearing out so I don’t have much longer before I will need to switch gamepads and drop my deadzone to 70 again.

I hope this helps.

Thanks guys, I’ve saved and watched a replay and it is like you say, green circles etc so not on the edge of grip, and the steering meter on the telemetry isn’t turning even though I was turning the stick.

I’ve actually made a post in the support forum now and gone into more detail there.

Can’t see that making the outside deadzones smaller would help this issue, but I will try it out today at some point. I’m still using the standard steering deadzones (changed my accel and decel though).

It has happened on a variety of lefts and rights, slow to fast so speed or direction doesn’t seem to be a factor. Biggest common denominator for me is it only happens when turning in with some amount of throttle applied.

What I can’t work out is why it has only just started happening to me in the last couple of days as my pad seems fine, certainly doesn’t seem to have any more stick wear etc than normal.

If you’re having the issue as well, maybe you could post up on the thread in the support forum to help T10 see there is an issue and diagnose what is going on etc.

Cheers, HW

Something similar happens to me on occasion. The steering doesn’t go out completely for me as you suggest, but it seems like the wheel isn’t turning all the way. Even though I move the stick all the way to the left/right during the turn, the car behaves as if it’s only halfway applied in either direction.

I have detailed the problem in an email to T10 support. I had the same issue in Forza 5, but I only had to drop my outside deadzone to 90 to get it fixed. When 6 came out I had to drop it to between 65 and 75. The major decrease in the range of motion on the outside made it extreamly hard to keep the car on the track cause it made the steering way to twitchy.

It probably has nothing to do with the problem but did you update the affected controller/s.

^^ Actually, lowering the outside dead WILL get your driver to move to full lock faster, depending on speed.

I’ve been having the exact same problem in FM6 for a week now, in the beginning it was intermittent and now it has become constant

OP, it’s not just you, it’s the game. This bug would very rarely pop up in Forza 4, but very very rare. And interestingly, only when using sim steering. It was non-existent in Forza 5, which has much better steering and physics I might add.

The same applies here in Forza 6 - keep steering on “sim” and for no reason at all, on certain slow-speed turns the wheel stops turning and the vibration/feedback goes completely dead. The only way to get the steering back is to get the controller to vibrate again. There are occasions when I absolutely hate the control in F6, it can get twitchy yet unresponsive. It is not realistic.

Forza 5’s control was perfect, the loss of grip and regaining traction was progressive - cars would not fishtail like crazy even on sim steering. It was a very smooth and progressive transition. I don’t know why they took this direction with F6’s tire model. It feels more like a Horizon game at time, including the unusually sharp brakes on ALL cars.

There’s nothing you can do for now except switch to normal steering. I guarantee you’ll be able to get better turn-in and realistic grip levels with normal steering and you will most certainly NEVER experience the dead steering bug on ‘normal’. Try it out for yourself. Cheers.

Can I have the link to that post? And yes, reducing the outside deadzone to 90 or 85 while keeping your steering to normal will not only do away with the dead steering bug at slower speeds but also make you car turn in properly. It will neither oversteer or understeer off the track when its clearly not supposed to. I say normal steering on the pad at least is more realistic. My opinion of course, which is based on driving games and sims I’ve been playing for nearly 3 decades now. Also, the fact that I have real-world high speed driving experience. For the best experience however, you should try out Forza 5 and 4. You can keep steering on sim in both cases - the feedback from the cars is incredible. Feels completely natural.

You can keep it to 80 or 85 and set steering to ‘normal’. The twitchy control disappears, I assure you. Keep your inside deadzone to zero though.

“Forza 5’s control was perfect, the loss of grip and regaining traction was progressive - cars would not fishtail like crazy even on sim steering. It was a very smooth and progressive transition. I don’t know why they took this direction with F6’s tire model. It feels more like a Horizon game at time, including the unusually sharp brakes on ALL cars.”

I have to disagree. I didn’t enjoy the control on FM5. I feel that 6 is much more alive and natural feeling. I’m going to try your .85 deadzone tip though, just to see how that feels.

That’s because the game has been tweaked to be more forgiving and generally give you more grip as well as control. Unless you shift to sim steering - in that case many cars will start to slide unnecessarily when they shouldn’t. Wasn’t the case with Forza 4 or 5 sim steering.

I know a few folks who’ve enrolled in motorsport schools and have track driving experience as well. While they are not gamers, they have played Forza on my system on and off, and we all agree Forza 5’s physics and tire model in particular is the most realistic. However, that is just our opinion. The developers or others who play the game may have contrasting opinions, which is okay really. :wink:

Just encountered this problem also.

I’ve never seen it before and I have been forzering for 10 years. It doesn’t happen often but I’m concerned it’s happening in the first place and Could escalate. Maybe it’s something to do with the elite controller I have just acquired.

I have been using the Elite Controller for a few months now and this has not happened so might be a new bug with in the game.

I’ve had this experience several times over and always during crucial races where I’m winning and for no reason at all the controller goes dead then turns itself on again causing me to lose my position and cancel out of the race. I recall it happening about 4 times in one month and again always at crucial race-winning moments. Makes you wonder for sure!!!

The law of sod…lol. mines always on a flying lap also.

@Warlock, yeah your right the pad feels perfect. It’s got to be a bug. I only get it low speed, especially at the turn 8 uphill hairpin leading up to the micheal Schumacher corner on nurburg gp.

I’ve had this happen 3 times. All three times were due to worn out left thumbsticks.

Eventually the thumbstick will pop and if you shake the control you can hear a peace inside rattling. The first sign it’s close to braking is when you notice your cars understeering more than what they should and overall the car feeling lifeless.

If playing on controller and it is well over a year old, buy a new one. When I bought a new one 2 months ago it was like night and day. My cars were very responsive as I once remembered.

^This. It’s an issue that’s been with Microsoft controllers for quite a long time nick named “Slow Turn.” It’s extremely noticeable on Forza even though it affect every game due to the nature of how important max lock is.

Maybe so with old worn out controllers but mine is 2 weeks old and tight as a nut and Works perfect. Having Not experienced this problem on every corner and everthing seems fine with telemetry on i assume it was a tempory and unique bug.

I’m not discounting the controller could be faulty, its possible. I will keep my eye on it closely from now on.

I have had this issue happen several times in Forza 3 and 4, and a couple of times in Forza 6.

From what I can tell it happens when one of the front tires looses contact with the ground mid turn, when this happens the steering locks to what ever position it was in when the tire left the ground. Once the tire touches the ground again steering returns to normal, which is why letting off or hitting the brakes seems to fix the issue. This also explains why it is more likely to happen of fast laps because you are more likely to lift a tire. When this happens the car also starts to feel really light and you can see the front end sort of lift up.

I have encounter the issue with the controller disconnecting a couple of times on various games, I am not sure why that happens but it is different than the steering lock bug in Forza.