AI driving is too perfect

I have a problem with AI as well, although not with the near perfect driving. My AI does make the occasional error but its’ very rare.

What bothers me more is that no matter what kind of car I take to the tracks, the AI is always able to keep up.

It doesn’t matter if I tune my FT86 to the max or if I use the stock version, the scenario is always the same - AI blasts past me and then I have to struggle to overtake them (btw, starting always from the same position, without any qualifying is pretty annoying).
So there is almost no point in tuning my cars (except the more powerfully tuned cars are more difficult to handle) because the AI is always the same.
Or am I missing something?

But I really appreciate that there is no catch-up in FH3. That is a huge thing for me.

2 Likes

The A.I. is cheap in tarmac surfaces, I seen them go full throttle acceleration on a sweeping corner. There are some parts that are Initial D status, where they just take off on a couple of asphalt turns. Bad racing lines, late braking and full throttle into the turns make it ridiculous to race them on some tracks because they are cheaply fast. I play on unbeatable difficulty. Its just video game logic. On some turns the cars that are 4th and below brake early bump you out of the track if your pass them on the outside or look at them funny.

I think the A.I. was designed to be anti-cheaters for gamers, so that makes me play as cheap as they do to be fair. I am convinced they are on rails sometimes.

While I have no problem making the AI cry by passing them late on the last lap, I’m more upset by their spatial awareness. I’ve had to rewind or restart too many times from being forced into a wall or to far outside of a check point.

1 Like

My experience has been that its pi related, with suprisingly little influenced by the difficulty setting. S1 and lower I walk away easily S2 and X the ai seems to have perfect line, traction control and braking, making it very tough to beat. Also the one:1 seems like it should have been X from the get go like the F1 lotus in F6. A good drivatar in that is formidable, especially if they start in front if the pack.

I play with no assists, manual clutch, and consistently place quite well in rivals.

I’ve found the AI difficulty very strange. Run pro normally on FM6 and win almost always with no issue, occasionally up it to unbeatable when I’m in a competitive mood.

Come to Horizon 3, if I run against pro drivatars, I more or less have zero chance of getting top three, even with a perfect drive. End up having to use highly skilled…

You own car built matters a lot, too. FH3 is biased toward power builds. If you built your car worrying more about handling than power, you’ll be at a disadvantage. Not only are the AI drivers skilled, they’re driving powerful cars too.

Then I don’t understand why I usually win by the same margin in either a stock car or in a tuned one?
It seems that the AI is adapting to my type of car and drives according to it. And if this is the case than tuning of the car really doesn’t matter since AI will always adapt to my PP score.

That was terrible grammar in my first post.

It’s not just the build. There is rubberbanding going on too. But I race on unbeatable and win a lot. When I first started playing, I was building cars like I did in FH2 where handling mattered more than power because of how the PI upgrade costs were weighted. For example, I build an A class Dodge Charger with like 8.1 acceleration and 7.4 handling. That was pretty close to a really good FH2 A class build for that car. I was able to carve out corners almost perfectly every time … but couldn’t stay in the same time zone as the race leaders. Now most of my A class builds for AWD cars have about 6.7-7.0 handling and 8.6-9.4 acceleration. If I don’t crash, I usually win.

But, yeah, if you are driving cars stock, I’d imagine the drivatars cars aren’t looking like they are in the same PI range.

I drive most my cars stock(apart from the occasional car I build to my liking) and because they AI always matches the PI of the car I am using, they usually end up with power built cars which are so much faster and grippier than what I am using and I don;t want to have to build cars just to keep up I’d much prefer if the AI was able to keep their cars stock when I am using cars that are stock, say having a filter on the AI that restricts their cars to the stock modifications and stock PI so they have to either choose cars that are closer in PI or their driving behavior is made quicker with less contact and less mistakes so they can keep up with the rest of the field.

My observation so far is that the [first place] drivatars definitely seem to have an unfair advantage. Sometimes. It’s highly inconsistent. Most times I can take first easily, and others it’s like in the early days of FM6, First place drivatar takes off and is untouchable.
I just did a 10 lap blueprint on a random circuit in the Outback for some XP grinding. I wasn’t worried about credits, so I just lowered the difficulty to ‘New Driver’ to concentrate on skill chains. Instead, I ended up spending all 10 laps trying to play a [futile] game of catch up to 1st place. This isn’t just a matter of “get gud,” as I have no problem on higher difficulty normally. 1st place had a best lap time nearly half of mine, and actually ended up lapping me and finishing over a minute sooner. I lapped the other 10 drivatars, meaning he must have lapped them TWICE. That’s just insane.

1 Like

IDK, I play on pro most of the time and I see them mess up from time to time (quite often actually). I even see them roll on occasion, especially on “rallycross” style events (like the shipwreck area or the construction site).

They seem to loose all their gutsiness in the rain, too. If you’re smooth and deliberate with your steering and throttle inputs (don’t tap-tap-tap at the stick, tilt it gently) you can easily outcorner them in wet conditions.

Just lower the difficulty… I had it on unbeatable at first and some races I would win and some just seemed impossible. I turned it down to pro and can win consistently now and it’s more fun playing competitively rather than just trying to play catch up.

I don’t understand why people force themselves to play against AI they cant keep up with and then moan about it when the difficulty settings can be changed… I’d hate to see how easy it is on the lowest difficulty setting.

I’ve also seen the AI mess up quite often, don’t really see them sliding about but they go off course and crash into trees or other cars in the street races etc.

If you upgrade a low class category to a much higher one you’ll find them sliding after corners or even hitting trees in the case of hypercars, they are tuned for speed and not handling, though how a veyron can outcorner a LeFerrari I do not know.

What I have noticed playing on unbeatable is that the AI seem to have absolutely limitless grip and turning of the wheel, whereas driving in first person I can see the game limiting how much I am allowed to turn the wheel especially on the medium to low speed corners, which means I have to slow down excessively to be able to get around the corner even though the car is definitely capable of making the turn at much higher speed and I entered the corner at the best angle I possibly could, meanwhile the AI’s fly past because they bypass this issue. I know why this feature is in the game, but it is well over-emphasised despite me using sim steering to get as much control over my own car as possible. I’m just a little annoyed that I don’t have full control over my own car. That and the run-away Drivatars is all I have encountered, as they seem to crash plenty when running on the Goliath track.

Try racing them as the reliant van they cant keep it upright around corners :wink: I played on average and they never got near me with stock cars, when I used my upgraded Raptor for a few championships I pulled away after the first corner.
Game keep asking me to change difficulty which was annoying!

There is without a doubt, a problem with AI. Having played all Forza games (with the exception of Horizon 1), I can honestly compare all the games equally. The standard Forza games can’t be compared to Horizon versions because of the more “arcady” physics of the Horizon series, but compared to Horizon 2, this AI is horrendous! There is zero spacial awareness, they ram you as if you weren’t there, regardless of racing line. They can roar up the inside of you in a corner and rail the inside line, while you understeer into the outside wall all the while entering the corner slower then the AI. Horizon 2 was one of my FAVORITE driving games, and I was so looking forward to the release of Horizon 3 (I even purchased the ultimate edition, which I didn’t do for Horizon 2). But after a hours of frustration with the AI, I’m waiting till its patched to even continue playing. So far a total waste of $120

1 Like

I find about 80% of the time in races offline I always have one AI drivatar which is way faster than all the others. Regardless of car type, difficulty, assists, track or race type. And all the rest finish miles behind.

Everyone’s blaming the AI for them sucking so bad. I’ve never had a bot beat me in a horizon game, they’re just too easy. People struggle with my drivatar though.

you’re a COOL guy

1 Like

Follow/add better drivers then come back and say that again ;). You likely have a bunch of noobs (your real life friends) on XBL and not a ton of die-hard Forza players. It makes all the difference in the world for drivatar difficulty.