A fool and his money are soon parted

This morning I went off to the auction house to look for a cheap '98 Toyota Supra RZ, to cash in my last remaining street racing accolade (the welcome pack car I’ve got doesn’t seem to qualify), and I was aghast at what I was seeing.

Over and over people are buying out the offered cars at insane prices: 250,000 to 450,000, over and over, one car after another, even those without upgrades. The start prices are as insane, with 200,000 common.

This when you can buy the car new at 38,000 in the autoshow!

Yeah, I get it; money is kind of meaningless in the game, the way they just throw it at you. I’ve personally got well over 160M in the bank right now, and I could buy out one of those things at those prices every other day without any perceptible effect on my finances. But it still seems kind of dumb, if not perverse.

3 Likes

Really doesn’t make sense, but I suspect many of them don’t realize the car they want is in the autoshow. It’s the only sane explain.

2 Likes

They don’t throw money at me.

two lousy grand and a knock off hatchback is the lousy gruel they usually serve me.

Yeah, people forget about the autoshow. There must be other cars you could do the same with too. The Supra is generally popular as well - people just dive in to buy one and don’t sweat about the autoshow.

2 Likes

Sold 8 65 Mustangs today for $235000 each. Could have sold more but I got bored.

2 Likes

And that is an achievement how?

True. The AH has a lot more overpriced cars that can be bought way cheaper at the AS. Not sure but the Civic '74 pops up my mind.

1 Like

It happens that way at live auctions too, I’ve heard. Sometimes people don’t know what something would be worth at simple retail, and sometimes they just get excited and wrapped up in the bidding war and lose sight of where it’s going.

I think the posters are taking advantage of human nature and depending on people to just assume that something in the auction house (“used”) will be offered at less than retail. Some of those Supra starting prices are up at 200,000, or even higher, and this morning I saw one where the ‘buy it now’ price was 20 million.

1 Like

Well that’s something that I’m occasionally guilty of as well. I put a car for sale at the lowest start bid possible and the highest possible buy out. I don’t need the CR but let the at least be a fight possible. Most double cars I just pass on as Gift Drops to New Players.

2 Likes

As a test I put up 8 cars for sales the last two days. Seven yesterday all running 12h, the highest buy-out was 1.7M. the rest was between 50 and 300k or so. All but one went through buy-out, including the most expensive (a Jag XJ220). Today I put up a Lambo for sale 50k starter, 10+M buy-out. Gone in 60 seconds, well even less. As long as people are willing to pay prices like these , there will be others ‘taking advantage’ .
Probably these were the last ones I will ever auction out with max buy-out.

1 Like

You’re talking about an auction house system with limited functionality, that’s slow and tedious to scroll through and where many players have credits in the hundreds of mill. Point being many players including myself will spend little time searching for the best price and rather just pay whatever if they want a car

I doubt it will be the last - there’s cars constantly up for 20M that shouldn’t be but they just go for some reason. Keep at it. I usually go the opposite way though. Don’t need the credits so I’ll just put up cars for reasonably cheap just to dump them and maybe give somebody else the chance for a big reward from a cheap buyout whilst the others are still pushing for the max that they could get. Just hope they get the big sale from the cheap cars that I put up.

The other problem with 12 hr auctions is that they often don’t even show up on the current list and and even if they do, most people can’t be bothered waiting that long. I only use 1 hr unless I’m going for a sale to a mate to help them out.
Otherwise by the time your auction even shows up the prices will already have dropped and people will be putting them up for much lower prices.

1 Like

I guess that’s what I meant as well. I gift out a lot of cars to New Players, but the ones that I will sell through the AH will not have the maximum buy-out anymore. I started doing that already. Basically if one ownes all cars and houses and has a couple CR left it is perfectly possible to play the game, perform an occasional upgrade, and than win back the CR you spend on the upgrade. No real need for 20, 120 or 999M on CR.
I have almost 900M in FH4, not going to even try to get as much as possible in FH5, to me it’s pointless.

1 Like

For this test I choose for 12h just because I was about to sign off and have some sleep and oh had to work. I knew I might have stayed up if I had made them 1h :slight_smile: But I agree.

1 Like

They simply shouldn’t allow cars that are in autoshow to be sold for more than they are worth in autoshow.

i don’t agree with that. It should be up to the player to check prices. Like someone mentioned elsewhere, this mimics real life better. I learned to check the autoshow very soon during my first days of FH4 and carry that knowledge along.

1 Like

Oh its definitely buyer beware with any auction in real life and definitely in a game that encourages greed.

True.
Added to that it’s hard to get a different sound out and discourage greed. In some ways the game is more about collecting stuff than about driving cars. I notice that even with myself from time to time. During periods with less time to play I just do the minimum to get the new cars so there you go.

1 Like

@Cassio811
Yep - did the same in FM7 with some 3-4 hour races at Le Mans just to build up CR etc.
That was a real drag.

1 Like

@Gabbelebab
yes totally - though I often stayed up well past my bedtime when I had work in about 3 or 4 hours just to get stuff done. That’s one of the perks of being an adult. :smile: