After a couple failed attempts this weekend at constructing an
adjustable PVC-based stand (for light weight, and easy mobility) I
scrapped those plans and built it out of the old stand-by- wood.
those interested in the specs, I started with a 3/4" MDF base cut to
18" square (important- the MDF is heavy enough to serve as a
counter-balance for the rest of the stand). I then cut a piece of 1/8"
masonite to fit inside the foot hole on the pedal base and screwed that
onto the MDF, thus keeping the pedal base in place. I then glued and
screwed 2 6" pieces of 2x6 on edge as the uprights on the front corners
of the base.
The upright arms are 1x4s cut to 27", and the plate
the wheel mounts to is a 2' 1x6, with 1x6 verticals glued and screwed
to the underneath side. I inset a dowel about midway up the arms for
cross-bracing and to serve as a handle for carrying/moving.
key to the design though, is the eyelet bolts with locking 'T' nuts set
in the vertical pieces on the base and the wheel plate. They provide
enough friction to both keep everything tight and allow for tilting
adjustments at the base (arms) and wheel plate. Personally, I prefer to
have the wheel tilted slightly toward me.
And, as an added perk, I mounted a $1 cup holder to the side of the wheel plate!
Oh, and I also added small eyelets up one of the arms for cord management...
it seems to be working great and my wife is happy I won't have a bunch
of *** laying around now that I can just pick it up and move the whole
thing out of the room!
About $20 in materials and a few hours time resulted in this...